• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about dual socket performance...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asusradeon

1st thing, would i beable to use two different CPUs on a dual socket board such as:

1 * AMD Athlon 2500+
1 * AMD Sempron 2400+

or would they need to be the same ?

and second.. would i see a large increase in performance from having just 1 Sempron 2400+, if i had 2 sempron 2400+ on a dual socket board ?

thanks

phantasm said:
If memory serves me right they need to be the same.
ok thank m8, and what sort of performance would i get ? would it be similar to dual core, as in i can run 2 demanding processes/application simultaneusly ?

Also, you will need MP processors. If you are going with the AthlonXP class of Dual Processors, you will need Athlon MPs or modded Athlon XPs. They should be the same processor rating, but I think some boards will allow different rated processors, as long as they will both run the same speed.

asusradeon said:
ok thank m8, and what sort of performance would i get ? would it be similar to dual core, as in i can run 2 demanding processes/application simultaneusly ?

Yes. However, I believe dual Semprons (K7s) are only going to run on the old MPX (Athlon MP-compatible) boards. These things can't really be compared to dual-core systems. They're pretty slow in comparison. Still make decent workhorses in some respects though (I have 3 of them).

Back