• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost a hdd in windows :s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DigitalDude

Registered
Hope this pic explains my problem

sdfsdvr1.png

I was trying to install Linux and I've lost a 80Gb hdd but it still shows in BIOS and in the hardware manager but not with the other hdds helppp. :p

I assume the bunch of unknowns are part of your linux setup? What shows up if you double click the drive in device manager?

Yeah thats a bad sign... what interface is the drive SATA or IDE? I'd start with a new data cable/connecting it to a different controller, did you change anything right when it stopped working? Aside from linux, like bios settings or the like?

I would unplug the data boot up then shut down. Plug it back in and reboot windows may find it again.

Big Mike said:
Yeah thats a bad sign... what interface is the drive SATA or IDE? I'd start with a new data cable/connecting it to a different controller, did you change anything right when it stopped working? Aside from linux, like bios settings or the like?
Its IDE, nope didn't change anything in bios :beer:

I'm going to format I'll keep you guys updated :p

when I went to format it said "connot read" or something so I think the drive is formatted wrong or something since it works fine it linux (Using it atm)

Heres a pic for proof :p

snapshot1ua1.png

I'm gonna guess then that windows doesn't like the linux partition format/master boot record, probably the only way to get it back for windows if thats what you want is to fdisk it and delete the partition and put a new one on it?

Big Mike said:
I'm gonna guess then that windows doesn't like the linux partition format/master boot record, probably the only way to get it back for windows if thats what you want is to fdisk it and delete the partition and put a new one on it?
I haven't installed Linux its on the live cd atm

Is there anyway of saving whats on the hdd i don't wanna lose all my music and stuff :(

download the demo of partition table doctor 3.5 and run it and see if it finds your stuff, if so I'd pay the 20 bucks or whatever to register it, it saved my 500 gig seagate

Sorted now I was messing around with the partition manager and after a restart it works fine again :D

Thanks for all the help guys! :beer:

Back