• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Antivirus + Firewall Combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DohDoh

My PC-cillin Internet Security expired and looking for the best combo. Looking to see if I have better options out there. Free or not free doesn't matter just as long it's worth my money if I have to pay.

Here how I am thinking about going this year:

AVG = Free Virus Scanner (free updates right?)

Windows XP Firewall = Free

How does this look? :confused:

Thanks!

smokie mcpott said:
nod32=antivirus
smoothwall box with clamav mod=firewall + antivirus

I agree with the smoothwall/clamAV mod because since you said you are willing to drop a few bucks. Try to find an old PC or if you can't drop a few bucks if you can at something like a garage sale or see if a local school has a junker computer they want to get rid of and offer to take it off their hands. Then you can have a dedicated firewall/AV solution without having to run any software on your actual machines and it will protect your whole network.

I have two windows machines running in my house, and on the one I have windows firewall, avast! home edition, and windows defender... the other zone alarm security suite... both machines w/ ad-aware and sbybot search and destroy... both seem to be fine... but it seems anytime I rely on windows firewall for my firewall ad-aware has to work that much harder.

I've been using Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall for a few years and it works very well. It doesn't use too much memory, either.

I don't use anti-virus but a lot of people seem to use AVG, Avast, and AntiVir.

Avast! Home for anti-virus. Free, very light on the resources, and IMNSHO better than any of the paid-for commercial products.
For firewall, get a Linksys WRT54GL router or something. Software firewalls just make your computer slow. If you desperately want a dedicated firewall, get an old P2 or P3 box and put m0n0wall or smoothwall on it.

Avast + SpybotSD+ SpywareBlaster + WRT54G (with HyperWRT Thibor15c firmware) + a lot of bad sites directed to 127.0.0.1 in hosts file = never been screwed over yet

Last edited:
I just use my router as a firewall currently. Some of the PCs have XPs firewall enabled. Im working on getting smoothwall running. I hate software firewalls personaly. As for virus scanner, AVG is good, they also have a Malware scanner now too, not sure if its any good though, I've never tried it.

router as a firewall

Skeith said:
I just use my router as a firewall currently. Some of the PCs have XPs firewall enabled. Im working on getting smoothwall running. I hate software firewalls personaly. As for virus scanner, AVG is good, they also have a Malware scanner now too, not sure if its any good though, I've never tried it.
same here couldnt agree with you more

I use avast for antivirus and I also hate like skeith and C, software firewalls. I don't use any firewall and never had a problem.

Back