• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't use Overdrive in ATI New R600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are 8pin power supplies coming out. The new Silverstone OP650 for instance.

I'm just waiting on a jonnyguru review to see how it looks before I buy it.

Rattle said:
yeah thats why you use the 6pin to 8pin adapter they supply

so you can still use 2 six pin plug but if you want to overclock, you can plug on of the 6 pin to their 8 pin adapter? If the card still runs with the 6 pin, then why use 8 pins?

boonmar said:
But if you use the 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, according to the article, you can't overclock the card with the overdrive feature.

That's probably true since a 6 pin only provides 75W and the "Overdrive" feature is supposed to take if over 225W. I suppose they might have 8pin > 2x6pin adapters or some other splitter to give enough power :shrug:

Or you can just buy a shiny new PSU with your GPU :)

boonmar said:
But if you use the 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, according to the article, you can't overclock the card with the overdrive feature.

I thought they meant you cant OC unless you use the 8 pin, regardless of the connector, just plug it in and go, shouldnt matter if its an adapter or not.

jivetrky said:
That's probably true since a 6 pin only provides 75W and the "Overdrive" feature is supposed to take if over 225W. I suppose they might have 8pin > 2x6pin adapters or some other splitter to give enough power :shrug:

Or you can just buy a shiny new PSU with your GPU :)

$600 for the card plus another 100+ for the new powersupply, man this thing is going to cost me a fortune. Since I just bought the power supply less than a year ago and it's SLI ready!

you should be able to use an adapter no problem and its gonna cost way more than $100 for a PSU for that anyway lol

boonmar said:
$600 for the card plus another 100+ for the new powersupply, man this thing is going to cost me a fortune. Since I just bought the power supply less than a year ago and it's SLI ready!

That new Silverstone OP650 is only ~$130 at Deadeyedata.com

Rattle said:
you should be able to use an adapter no problem and its gonna cost way more than $100 for a PSU for that anyway lol

Do you thin 550 watts will do?

We need a voltage guru to come in here. I was under the impression that with the 8 pin to 6 pin adaptors, current would essentially be exactly the same. Or do these suckers really need those extra few strands of wire to supply maximum juice to the card?

Yup. Youre right Jive. Just took this from google:
DUE TO THE uncontrolled power spiral on modern GPUs, the nearly brand new PCIe 75W power connector is overwhelmed and cards already need two of them. No sooner do they become common and useful than they get relegated to the dustbin.
They are to be replaced by an eight pin PCIe connector that, surprise, provides much more juice. Instead of doing the right thing like Intel and AMD, NV and ATI are blithely upping the power to unsustainable levels.

In any case, the new connector looks like this.
8_pin_PCIe_power.jpg

So, the 6 pins are completely maxed out at 75 watts, they would essentially feed an 8 pin connector with the same current.

Thanks for the info bro.

Dom

boonmar said:
It's an Antec True Power 2.0

dual 19a rails...

It's kind of hard to say if it would handle it or not until ATI releases the required PSU specs. I'd really guess no though. :shrug: THink we'll all just have to wait and see to be sure.

dominick32 said:
We need a voltage guru to come in here. I was under the impression that with the 8 pin to 6 pin adaptors, current would essentially be exactly the same. Or do these suckers really need those extra few strands of wire to supply maximum juice to the card?

I was thinking 2x6pin pci-e down to 1x8pin pci-e should be fine, like the old 2x4pin molex into 1x6pin pci-e

Rattle said:
I was thinking 2x6pin pci-e down to 1x8pin pci-e should be fine, like the old 2x4pin molex into 1x6pin pci-e

Yeah, a 2x6pin down to 1x8pin would most likely work...but then you already have to have a quad PSU.

This is actually part of the reason I temporarily cheaped out on my PSU until I can see a jonnyguru review of that OP650. If it's close to the quality of the ST56ZF then I'll pick it up (it's only a few bucks more at deadeyedata.com) If not, then I'll probably just pick up the Zeus.

yeah man I am actually better off if that OP650 is worth a damn cuz I was just gonna drop $200 on a 750 silencer with 60 amps

It looks really awesome...I mean if it performs well...it's a heck of a deal....a quality 54A single 12v railed PSU for less than $130!? That's awesome! Just wish jonny would post his review! :)

Back