• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

extending range of routers via Access points

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I set up a router in my dorm but the range is limited in my friend's dorm. Is there a way to extend the range of my router via a access point? If so, how would i set this up and about how much would it cost? My budget is limited to around $50 shipped or so. Thanks in advance.

before you extend it, are you sure you are allowed to have a wireless router in your dorm. none of the universities i know of allow it.

Yup. Many people in the dorms around school have brought their routers from home and setup their own networks. No complaints from the RA since we've moved in either. =)

well im jealous.

you need to find an access point with a repeater mode. easiest i can think of is getting two of the same models that support it. linksys has some very good support for it, and i believe it gets even better with 3rd party firmware

Back