• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless problem with laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

I have a small home network; router (Trendnet TEW432BRP) is connected to the Comcast modem and the desktop in the computer room/my room, and my mom's laptop is living in the kitchen (about 20 feet away). Her wireless will drop out intermittently, and tends to be very slow (local network throughput from laptop to desktop is much higher than from laptop to internet).

Could the router be getting some sort of interference in the house? I did notice when working on the laptop the other day, when it was sitting on the desk right next to the router throughput was much higher.

Both computers have Network Magic software installed, and everything checks out fine. I have a suspicion that it's something to do with Comcast's modem and a third-party router, but am not sure what. Of course according to Comcast there are no problems.

The laptop is running Vista Home Premium, and the desktop is an XP SP1 box.

If the router is getting interference then you could try changing the channel. If, everything was fine on the laptop and you installed Vista on the laptop and now the signal is low, it maybe bad drivers. My linksys wireless G card worked great with the XP drivers but, when I used their new Vista drivers the signal strength was worse, much worse. The Comcast modem shouldn't affect the signal strength on the laptop but, the router could be going bad. As far as that software goes, I don't know anything about that but, I don't know why you don't just use Windows networking features.

1. If, everything was fine before Vista= likely drivers.

2. If not, I would start with changing the channel on the router, cause that's free.

3. Try a different router

My guess would be interference. Lotsa stuff in the kitchen dosent like wireless. Use netstumbler to see what your signal levels are in the kitchen and then move around the house a little. If it is interference you should know real quick.

Sounds like interferance. I have lots of interferance in my house and my wireless drops too. Dont have a speed issue through. My neigbour has 3 satilite dishes and some weird antenna that I think is causing it. Also if you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone make sure you set your wireless channel to a channel that the phone wont interfere on. non overlapping channels are 1, 6, and 11 i think.

http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/wireless-guide.html
there is a guide to see what other wifi channels overlap.
In your wireless network guide do a search for network, then examine all the networks in your area (right click > properties on intel proset wireless, write down the channel numbers and then work out wich channels are available for you that dont overlap. Then make sure they dont overlap your phone
http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0c...uZC5jby56YS92Yi9zaG93dGhyZWFkLnBocD90PTQ4MjE4
Stated here just as I did, 1, 6, 11 are non overlapping for cordless phones.

good luck after doing this let us know how it helped you.

Well I had a problem like this where I connected my computer directly to the router with a cat5e cable and my parent wireless laptops lost their connections. Now I didn't know what was going on so I went back to wireless with my desktop without tinkering. Anyway I got an assignment working with crossover cables. A long time ago the cableguy said use a crossover cable between modem and router. I have never had internet problems except when I connected cables to the router. After doing my assignment I changed the cat5e cable and am now using wired and wireless with no problems. You may want to try using a crossover cable between your router and modem.

Back