• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth the upgrade? (Winny 3000+ to Opty 144)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you might get an extra 4-500mhz. if that's worth $70 then go for it!

but you might wait for someone who knows a bit more about your mobo to chime in, to see if you can take advantage.

Since you will be able to overclock that Opty a bunch more I think it would be worth it. I know they can reach performance of the FX-5x chips if you have the right cooling.

honestly, if you can get a 165 or 170. they are dual core ofcouse. I just updated from a 146 and have noticed the differance in games. Plus it overclocks better! haha, but if single core is the go and $70 is worth it for you, go for it. But a 146 will give you a 10x multiplier which i find helped me a lot. My 146 ran at 2.7ghz on 1.425v (up from 1.400). It could go higher but it wasn't worth it for the extra voltage needed. And yes, if it clocks to 2.7 or higer you will notice the differance in games and such.

I have a Opty 144 clocked a 2.8 and it runs great! I have water on it though and I'm replacing it with a new Opty 170 Dually tomorrow!:santa:

I would get a Dual Core. A few more MHz on a single core isn't going to make that much difference. X2 4400+, Opty 165, or Opty 170 depending on what the MAX FSB of your board is.

I don't think its worth it really. With your mobo you won't be getting very good clocks anyhow. But you should get a nice dual core. That would be a nice upgrade. Cheap too

I would go for a nice dual core that can be OCed a little. Consider the 4400+ X2 and the 4800+ X2. Looks like the Egg is running low on DC Skt 939's.

Back