• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD/nForce to Intel/Intel. RAID question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorin

In going from an AMD and nForce combo to another AMD and nForce (or if just reinstalling the OS), the data on my RAIDed drives was kept intact. All I had to do was go into the RAID setup on the motherboard and assign the drives to the proper arrays that they were set up in before, and everything was fine.

What about if I go from an AMD/nForce setup to an Intel/Intel setup? Will it work the same way? I mean obviously on the array with the OS, I'll need to reinstall anyways, but what about my other array, a storage RAID 1 array? Will it just be a matter of reassigning the drives to the right array setup that they were in before, and the data will be intact? Or is there some difference in the way that Nvidia and Intel set up their RAID arrays that is incompatible and will thus cause me problems?

It's RAID 1ed for a reason, so I don't want to go ginuea pigging with it and find out the hard way.

NO, you'll have to re-create the raid array fresh. If you stick with AMD/Nforce and swap mobos, then yes it will work most of the time and you can get away with it, but if you're switching mobos from AMD/NForce to Intel/Intel, then no it will not work. Reason being: 2 totally different chipsets.

I suggest you save/back-up all your important data on disk or Cdrw/DVDrw and do a complete format if you're swapping over from AMD to Intel. Then re-create raid array, reinstall the OS, then put your saved data back.

No other way around this that i know of, and I only run raid.

If you are just worried about your RAID 1 array then you should be fine. It sounds like you just have 2 disks in your RAD 1 array? Moving them over should not be a big problem. Since both disks are identical with the data. I don't see a problem. Any other RAIDs you have will have to be recreated from the ground up. If you have a RAID 0, 0+1, or 5 then you will have to backup the data and recreate it.

Back