• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the X6800 clock higher than regular C2D's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

I'm looking for the highest clock speed possible on air. Would a X6800 overclock higher than any of the other C2D's? Is 3.5-3.6GHz realistic? What kind of overclock can I expect on stock volts?

3.6ghz is also dooable on air with a e6600. even if you only got it to 3500mhz, is that extra 100mhz worth the $500-600 price difference between a e6600 and x6800?

The X6800 is probably binned with the best yielding cores, but it's not that much better than the E6600 to be worth the extra price in my opinion.

batboy said:
The X6800 is probably binned with the best yielding cores, but it's not that much better than the E6600 to be worth the extra price in my opinion.

agreed. especially when you consider dualcore's support is still growing at a slow pace.

I invite anyone to match this on air cooling (not arctic air cooling, just in a room with the heat on, etc)

Now is it worth it? Well, that's in the eye of the beholder. :p

Attachments

• 4140.JPG
    4140.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 172
Hey Guatam what kind of ram is that? 460mhz @3,3,3 is pretty impressive.

I would say the x6800 is worth it if you really want to get the max out of your setup but for most people more cooling cheaper than more cpu.

Thanks Gautam. I was just about to hop into this thread.
"One mans junk is another mans treasure!"
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I can keep going if youd like...

speed bump said:
Hey Guatam what kind of ram is that? 460mhz @3,3,3 is pretty impressive.

I would say the x6800 is worth it if you really want to get the max out of your setup but for most people more cooling cheaper than more cpu.
Heh, thanks for noticing, first time anyone did when I showed that screenshot, most like CPU speed better. :p

Team Xtreem 5300 at 2.65v.

Gautam said:
Heh, thanks for noticing, first time anyone did when I showed that screenshot, most like CPU speed better. :p

Team Xtreem 5300 at 2.65v.

CRAZY timings man. Just ludicris. You want to sell those sticks? :beer:

Gautam said:
I invite anyone to match this on air cooling (not arctic air cooling, just in a room with the heat on, etc)

Now is it worth it? Well, that's in the eye of the beholder. :p

Did I see/read that correctly? Over 4GHz on air? what king of cooling? voltage? board? and load temps...

Actually Dom, the thought inevitably crossed my mind several times...but no dice. They're my babies...first RAM I've ever had in my life that actually clocks well. You can pry em from my cold dead hands, or probably pick em up in the classies whenever DDR3 comes out, whichever comes first. :p

The cooling is a Tuniq Tower 120, with a 105CFM YS-Tech fan. (Very loud) P5W DH, 1.7v vcore.

Dual load at parameters like that threw the CPU into around 69-72C. It wasn't anywhere near stable there. Quite flaky past 4.1GHz. At 4 GHz flat, it was actually pretty solid. If I had to take a guess, it could probably pull off single core prime there. Dual prime probably 3.9GHz.

my 6600 is 24/7 orthos stable at 3.6ghz 1.35v set in bios and does 3dmarks at 3.8 with 1.4v, when i get my p5b deluxe next week and my new ram, then I can find out what it will really do.

I would never buy a x6800, unless it was $300 :beer:

Well no wonder I can't get there... I can only seem to get super stable near 3.55 with 1.475 volts. If I am willing to sacrifice FSB I can get to 3.64 but no farther then that so far. I may be able to do better with time. but it will take tweaking.

I thought that I would never buy a 900$ CPU for a long time.

Now I'm here sitting with a single stage and saving up for a QX6700

Never say never

Back