• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Electrical supply for seti farms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
A very good article at overclockers.com regarding power draw and household circuit wiring. I found the discussion in the folding section of the forum but it is worth repeating here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4937468#post4937468

New circuit breaker and wiring is very inexpensive. Restoring a house following a fire due to overloaded circuits is much more expensive.

I have run my new 20 amp circuit for the farm. Have you?

Good thing is that here in Croatia we have 220Volt 50Hz lines. So I have 3 phases with each having an 16Amp breaker on it.
So I can plug up to 3520Watts on each phase without worry of overloading. :)

Similar thing here in England with 220volt 50hz all my rigs are on a seperate line to every thing else with a 32amp breaker. But an interesting read thanks eaglescouter.

Total capacity 7040 watts. 80% capacity 5632 watts

Last edited:
I did something like that a couple years ago myself. I ran a 3 wire split phase circuit that has 2-20 amp breakers, 1 for each leg of it to the computer room. So I ended up adding 40 more amperes of capacity to the computer room, which ends up being 32 amperes of total usable current (80% rule). And I actually measured my current draw after installing the extra circuits and including the air conditioning power draw for the computer room, my farm pulls around 38 amps total (on 4 different circuits, the 2 new additions and the original 2 circuits).

Hmm.. 230V here in NZ. my pc is on a 20A breaker, so thats 230*20=4600W? I was never really good at the physicsy kinda things ;D. Its still very tempting to get 1150*4W UV cathodes and put them on a dedicated 20A breaker haha.

Thanks for the link.. that picture of the house really made me think about what can happen =\

Here in Denmark I have 220V also. My curcuit runs of 13Amp breakers - which would be....220*13= 2860Watt?

My house has 4 breaker to cower entire house..(with dryer and other "heavy" on a seperate 25Amp breaker)

here in switzerland, its 220v, and i think its 10a per breaker. And I think thats sharing the same circuit as my sisters room. luckily, only have the one rig (2, if you count my sisters) and mine probably only draws ~375w (hers is a stock emachines, celeron, probably 200w max).

Good point, eaglescouter!

I hadn't really stopped to think of the power draw in this room, which also includes a home entertainment center. :eek: I do have two UPSs running the computers and another one on the stereo rack but that won't stop a circuit over-load in the house.

Let's see, 530W for the computers (3x s939 rigs) according to the APC monitoring programs, which doesn't include my 20" CRT so figure 600W total (5+ amps), old 2100+ rig & LCD monitor (1 amp?), overhead lights & fan (~3 amps), stereo rack & 54" projection screen (don't wanna' know!), not to mention the garage door opener, plus a few other small misc things. Thank goodness I had the foresight to run a new circuit for the booster A/C unit I installed a couple of years ago. Even at that I may need another circuit for the entertainment center. Good call - I'm glad you got me thinking about this ...!

Last edited:
Back