• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP, and the CHEATERS.text file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Anyone running windows XP, get a text file called cheaters in the root dir. I can delete it many times, and anytime u reboot it adds a line to the text file that says

Windows Enabled

Every time u start windows. Wonder why this file re-generates itself. what is teh purpose, and i wonder what would happen if you write-proteected the file. That way it was unable to write to the file, if it just un proteced it, and still wrote to the file, than MS is getting over on use again, by basically controlling our OS.

I have talked to 2 other Xp users and they verified tey hae th file,and it add a line just as ine did. Why does MS have the right to add files as they feel needed to our OS.!.

The short answer is that Microsoft is a commercial operation and they are selling you a product. They can do anything they want with their product. You don't have to buy it!

If you're a member of the ACLU, you can fret about it as much as you want, but you won't be able to do anything about it!

Just stick a command in autoexec.bat to delete the file on startup.

Wait...

You said XP didn't you? That screws the whole thing up!
If XP still has an emulated DOS in it, make a batch file to delete it and stick that in the startup menu. Should delete it for you every boot. Though, the setting to read-only sounds easier...

JigPu

I was wondering if this is in fact a Half-Life thing. I have Win2k Sp3, and the file wasn't there until I installed Half-life. Now, it is in the root directory no matter if deleted.

I haven't dealt with it, it doesn't bother me. Scan your registry for something like cheaters.txt. Maybe you will come up with something.

I get it myself, actually. It doesn't do anything that I can see. Its not a virus or anything that a virus made. I'm pretty sure its just a Counterstrike thing.

oc jason said:
Why does MS have the right to add files as they feel needed to our OS.!.

No offence but....get real!

.....*our* OS...... good one, that!!! <g>

OOOOps! I forgot the most important thing: I'm running XP proffesional, and at first glance I cannot find any such file...must be half-life then??

I think that the most important thing isn't XP, it is a program called Red Alert that you enjoy.

The following is from an Italian web site ( http://www.poloniato.it/netf/files.htm )

as translated by Alta Vista( http://world.altavista.com/tr ) :

RedAlert.mp3 for all those that have loved the first one red alert, in format mp3, the mythical one hell march.

img.zip a collection of 13 GIF that by hand represents the sketches in base to which has been designed to the buildings and the units of the game... for estimative!

XCC WOL IRCFILTER this is indeed programs not to lasciarsi to scappare: launch before the game and you it will signal the rank automatically, the games gained and lost and the score of your adversaries. It works is in the quick match that in the custom match, but only on the serveur USA.

Cheaters.txt draft of text rows on which you will find a longest directory of players. To flank to the name of everyone they are marked: the score, rank and above all the percentage of wash (it is made that endured, without some difference). In order to consult the rows quickly, and to discover in little second ones if our potential adversary is a cheaters or not, you council to resort to the function of search of notes pad (than active with the key F3)

It's not Red Alert, I don't have it, but I still have the file.

I'm going to jump on the "it's CounterStrike" bandwagon. Makes sense. It doesn't make sense that Windows would need such a txt file for any reason whatsoever. Cheaters, however, are present in CounterStrike. You quite literally can't play a single game without encountering at LEAST 1, more probably several.

Back