• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it wise to leave a Pentium D folding for a week while I'm away?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
The system runs fine 24/7 but the load temp is in the low 60s. Would it be unwise to have it keep folding while I'm away?

It should be fine, and.. if you think its bad to leave it folding while your away.. isnt it jsut as bad if you were there? I mean if it dies.. it will die.. wheither with you being there or not.. But the temps should be fine.

no...not if you don't mind a $500 electricity bill and a nice warm room :D :D :D :D j/k man, sorry, kinda inebriatedd... domething about don't drink and post kids! :beer:

the garynator said:
no...not if you don't mind a $500 electricity bill and a nice warm room :D :D :D :D j/k man, sorry, kinda inebriatedd... domething about don't drink and post kids! :beer:

lol Gary :D This presler does a great job at keeping my room warm, I can always feel a steady stream of hot air blowing from the exhaust vents.

bing said:
Dunno if your mobo could run low VCore like down to 1.1000V ? Check this thread here.

Unfortunately it's an ECS board so it only allows vcore adjustment upwards (and only to +0.03v). I'm just waiting for somebody to make a decent overclocking uATX board, and then the ECS board will go away...to be shown again in the hardware destruction thread. :D

I fold 24/7. You should load up SpeedFan and use the configure/events settings to create a shutdown event if the CPU temps go over 80c. That way if a fan should fail you will have an automatic shut down if needed. Use WinXP shutdown.exe in the:

"then" "execute" "c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe" "-s -f -t 30"

-s = shutdown, -f = override programs running, -t 30 = you have 30 seconds to say no.

The flags ensure the system will shut down within 30 seconds if the temps reach and stay above 80c.

Last edited:
benbaked said:
The system runs fine 24/7 but the load temp is in the low 60s. Would it be unwise to have it keep folding while I'm away?

It will probably be fine unless you have a power outage while your away... i'd probably set the BIOS to stay off when power is restored, and have the systems that stay on at your place on a decent surge protector that will trip/cut power when the power comes back up.

~ Gos

Yes set the auto shutdown in the BIOS to 75c and do what orion said for speedfan.

Don't worry about fires or whatnot...just set the autoshutdown and you will be fine.

Back