• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opty 175

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

Well the tas return is on its way and I will finally be able to step up to this processor.

As always, I have questions.

1. Does NewEgg currently have the good steppings, or is it still a luck of the draw affair? What is the golden stepping I should look for?

2. My sig shows my current setup. I like this Zalman cooler, but how does it compare to the heatpipe cooler for the Opterons? If the Opty cooler is superior, then I may use that. If my Zalman is better, then I'll use it. I'm planning on overclocking the 175 up to 2.9-3.0. Will my lapped/polished Zalman handle the heat ouput of an overclocked dual-core chip or should I be looking at something else entirely?

3. Am I going to have to change my motherboard's BIOS to run a dual-core chip? I've never tried flashing a BIOS, and I'd rather not fark with it if I don't have to change it. It's an Asus A8n-SLI vanilla, BIOS version 1013.

opteron ARE x2's as far as the mobo is concerned. Anyway i don't think your cooling will be up to it. I have a good 15c increase in temps loaded over my opteron 146. My system loads at 50ish at 2.8Ghz on stock volts. And as you will see i don't exactly have the mildest air cooling, with a big typhoon and TFB1212GHE rated for 220cfm, given its airflow is lower atm because i run it at 7v. With current idle temps of 24 and load of 50+ its evidence that your right on the edge of your cooling aleady, and dualcores are much much hotter.

Just get an Opty 170 you are more likely to get a good stepping as they are more popular. The good steppings are at the end of the runs and to get to the end of the runs they need to sell a lot. Your best steppings will come from 165 and 170's. The 4400+ X2's are doing pretty well aslo.

I have my 165 (312 x9) @ 2.8GHz on 1.375v. It is lapped and my Ultra 120 with push pull yate loons is lapped. I hit mid 50's with it. If you are looking for 2.9 to 3.0 you are going to need better than your Zalman or the stock. Tuniq Tower is where it is at.

Good luck with the 175 there are not many that use it. If your mobo will do 300 MHz FSB then a 170 will hit 3.0 GHz if the chip is up to it. If your mobo will do 334 MHz FSB then a 165 will hit 3.0 GHz if the chip is up to it. Test you mobo to find it's max FSB then select a chip to suite you needs. 165 = 9x multi, 170 = 10x multi, & 175 = 11x multi.

The 165's from the Egg seem to be getting schetchy as they are selling out.

Back