• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding second HDD for RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Ok so I am thinking about adding another drive in a RAID 0 configuration. My question however is should I go with a high speed drive? My current drive is only 7200rpm so will I notice a performance gain if were to slap in a Raptor 150gb or do both drives need to be high speed?

Drive speed and size should match for raid0. It is best to use the same model# if possible because both drives will run only as fast as the slowest of the two.

Ok so faster would be better but since one drive is only 7200rpm that is a moot point. Still setting up a RAID0 config with identical drives would be beneficial no?

Having a 10,000 rpm would be pointless because you would pair it with a 7200 rpm drive. Raid 0 can only go as fast as the slower drive permits it. Yes setting up raid 0 with same drive's would be best.

Purchase another duplicate 7200 rpm drive, or buy 2 10,000 rpm drives and put them in Raid 0. Everyone else already answered the theory. A cheap alternative to a high speed Raptor Raid setup is currently a Seagate Perpendicular Raid setup. You should check out Bings sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Back