• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Q about the aftermath of lapping (specifically drying)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grimm333

I just finished lapping my HSF (AC Freezer Pro 7) and IHS (off C2D). The edges on the IHS were higher up than the center by a lot.. it really wasn't flat. Overall it took me two hours following the sticky here and the the documents in the Easy PC lapping kit. Anywho... the HSF is a little wet and i'm thinking of taking a blowdryer to it in order to dry it. I was very careful with the CPU and trying not to get it wet, however, it's really hard to tell if any water got between any cracks. What is a recommended method for drying the processor or how long should i let it sit under a fan to let it dry? 6/12/24 hours? days?

TIA!!

I think those things are sealed AFAIK... Dunno though. IF water does get into it I would not recommend putting a hair dryer to it since that may cause it to heat into a vapor within under the IHS and cause issues.

WonderingSoul said:
I think those things are sealed AFAIK... Dunno though. IF water does get into it I would not recommend putting a hair dryer to it since that may cause it to heat into a vapor within under the IHS and cause issues.

Gotcha. I only did the HSF under the hairdryer. I turned a regular fan on and left the CPU in front of it for an hour now.

I was very cautious lapping the IHS and tried my best to make sure no water went anywhere and minimized water usage while sanding.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
why not just take a paper towel to it?

Sorry, i don't think i wrote my question properly. I'm worried about water getting in the crack underneath the IHS.

What I do is wipe the wet heatsink off with a napkin or something, then blow (Using your mouth, not a fan lol) on the surface the get any napkin residue/lint/whatever off.

Letting it air dry fanless probably isn't such a great idea, since dust will latch onto the water droplets and will stick to the heatsink after drying.

EDIT: Well nevermind, I see you meant something else lol. You can probably just let that air dry for a few (3 maybe) hours if you're concerned

The amount of lapping I've done I never got any water under the IHS.

If you want to be sure, let it sit out dry for a few days if possible place in a warm dry spot. Thats about the only way to be sure without frying the chip.

deathman20 said:
The amount of lapping I've done I never got any water under the IHS.

If you want to be sure, let it sit out dry for a few days if possible place in a warm dry spot. Thats about the only way to be sure without frying the chip.

Sorry to jack, but you do wash the cpu off with water in the lapping process, as well as the sandpaper?

OCnewbee said:
Sorry to jack, but you do wash the cpu off with water in the lapping process, as well as the sandpaper?

Mine was a wet sand processes. So it was always wet and I just whipped it off when done and tossed some cheap vodka on top of it to finish the cleaning process.

largon said:
No need to worry about water under the IHS.
See the to see why.

For C2D yes.

For pre-C2D processor or latest quad/QX like below pic which has the ceramic capacitor arrays surrounding the die, that cpu might turn into expensive key-chain if water and metal particles from the lapping process is in there while you power-up !

EpoxyOpening.JPG

Thanks for all the replies!!! I let it dry for 12 hours to be on the safe side and fired her up ;)

bing said:
For C2D yes.

For pre-C2D processor or latest quad/QX like below pic which has the ceramic capacitor arrays surrounding the die, that cpu might turn into expensive key-chain if water and metal particles from the lapping process is in there while you power-up !

I read something similar to the above and that is why was concerned. Thanks for clearing it up bing!!!

Back