• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Polk Audio RTi4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David_N

Polk Audio RTi4 *new* soundcard choice, see post 6

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10034465&catid=

I'd be primarily using them to listen to music and wiring them through my Kenwood VR-6070 and onboard sound until I can get a nice deal on an audio card (which will be fairly high end). How would these speakers perform once I get everything set up (eventually get a subwoofer, but I don't need some right now for my musical taste.)? I would also be moving to movies eventually, but likely keep a 2.1 setup, how would they perform there?

I'm only looking at these or other products from future shop because I have a $50 gift card and they are in my budget. If I would see a large quality improvement (After I got the sound card), I may be willing to spend a bit more. Is my money being well spent on the RTi4's? I'm having a tough time finding good reviews.

Oh, and for clarification, my music taste is mostly indie, rock, and the like. Nothing very bassy, however my friends like to pump the R&B/rap/hip hop when they are over.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
I've only ever used Polk's car speakers but I was always very pleased with the quality of their products. With the size of those drivers I would definitely add a subwoofer though.

I have a pair of very old (mid 90's) polk audio monitor series 2. They have a 2 drivers around that size (5.25" ish) and a tweeter. Very nice speakers with good bass response, especially for their size (though I think one is a dedicated low end driver and one is a mid range driver). I trust polk's quality, but before you buy something that costs that much I would listen to them first. Then again, at $250 it's hard to pass up.

As for the subwoofer, I can only suggest SVSound subwoofers. I have this one http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm and it's extremely well built and as good or better than anything at it's price. Then again, that's pretty huge overkill for a computer system.
Dan

I now have a shiney new set of RTi4's sitting on my desk. I might not get to set them up tonight though :(

They sounded good, but the bass is quite lacking. I'll have to keep my eye open for a nice sub now.

Thanks for the help, I'll post a review in this thread once I get them set up!

Alright, I won't be hooking them up until I get a soundcard actually... Here are my choices:

AuzenTech HDA X-MERIDIAN - $199
AuzenTech HDA X-PLOSION - $109
BlueGears B-ENSPIRER - $134
Razer Barracuda AC-1 - $199
Turtle Beach Montego DDL - $88

Price isn't a huge issue, however the if I can get away with a cheaper card and still maintain great quality, that would be great. Primary usage will be music, followed by games and movies. Digital output is also important.

Thanks for any input!

[Edit: After reading some Newegg reviews, I'm quite interested in the Razer. Does anyone have any experience with this? I haven't seen much info on it.]

That sub you linked to looks pretty nice. Most of the speakers in your price range should be more than decent. As far as a sound card I always stay away from the latest/greatest cards. I have a soundblaster audigy that has served me quite well for several years. (Of course I still have an awe32 as well) I know alot of people have gripes with creative's cards, but I have owned a long string of them and have never had any real complaints.

I bought an X-Fi (I'm a gamer), so I'm useless to you. Though I have heard good things about the bluegears...

I should probably mention, I'm definitely not buying a Creative card. I already had a Fatal1ty Xtreme gamer and was disappointed to say the least. I returned that and tried a platinum and remained disappointed, returning to onboard sound for the time being.

After reading some reviews, I'm leaning towards the Razer... Any more opinions, maybe I should look into the X-Meridian or another one of the cards I listed?

Mine kicks the crap out of my onboard sound, but then again this computer is geared towards gaming, I have a much nicer home stereo for movies and what not.

I hooked the speakers up to my amp and ran the radio through it, and it sounds great. With a good sound card and a sub, these things will rip! I'm going to bite the bullet and order the Razer Barracuda with two hours unless anyone can provide me some better advice. The reviews I have found all say it is superb.

I would be willing to bet you would get better long term driver support from razer. But thats just an opinion.

Hmm, it seems that the X-Meridian is out of stock anyways... I'm ordering the Razer Barracuda right now with a nice 114cfm panaflo fan for a little extra fun. Review of my setup with photos to come in a few days!

Atleast, once I figure out how to remount my heatsink and get everything installed and tweaked :)

Back