• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi all, been gone awhile, back with ideas for updating my rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chunkylover763

Well, I have been outta the loop for a good 8 months, I have been enjoying a good long spurt getting my audio hobby up to date. I have returned to get my PC/Gaming one another go. I have a few PC's, the one I want to update is...
Athlon XP 2500 "barton" running at 2.9Ghz
Geforce 6800 16/6 running at 425/900
Asus A8N-something deluxe mobo
1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 memory
Hyper Type R 580Watt PSU
WC parts so far are
Apogee CPU WB
Maze4 GPU block
DannerMag 3 pump
Black Ice Pro III rad
6x120MM ultra quiet 30cfm fans

Here is what I am looking to get...
Conroe E6300
PQI turbo 667 2x1GB ram
Asus P5LD2 Intel 945 Mobo
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 320MB
Windows Vista Ultimate

I have been gone awhile so I don't know exactly what it takes to get these Conroes to OC well. Obviously they have ultra low multi's so I will need decent ram and MB to get the most out of them. I am not looking to OC a ton, becuase I want my system to be quiet and that is first priority. Will my current blocks work or will I need to update them as well? I don't know how the apogee cools the Core 2's and I have no idea if the maze 4 will even mount on the new Nvidias.

Thanks in advance...

You might have to get a S775 bracket for the Apogee.

The Apogee GT is now out. Appearantly under certain circumstances it is better than the Storm (single die vs dual die).

People WILL tell you to wait on getting Vista cause it will rape your computer of resources. Those people should be banned from using computers with any OS higher than Windows 386.

Video of Vista haters!

Wuh wuh wuh Windows Wuh wuh Windows windows 386!

I'm in no hurry so I definitly will wait. Windows Vista is in the cards for me because I get it for $5 at school, that's the only reason I am getting it. My current apogee fits 775, does it perform better on dual cores than single? It did a very good job with my barton but a storm would have been better (there were huge availability issues with the storm when I ordered). Another question, I have a Radeon X1800XL AIW that I picked up at Microcenter a few months ago for $100, I haven't been able to run it because it is PCI-E and I don't have a PCI-E rig yet. Would you recommend I just run that one (even though it can't be WC'd) and hold off on the DX10 card? I do plan on running some of the DX10 titles when they come out but I am not huge into gaming like I once was.

the 945 chipset mobo you have selected WILL NOT work with conroe. youll want a p5b-deluxe or something like that. those boards clock pretty good, which is what youll need for a e6300, with its low multi and all.

youll also want good memory. something along the lines of a set of TeamGroup pc2-6400 that should clock well over ddr2-1000 for ya with a little added volts. bad ddr2 really cant work well with a e6400 or lower.

It appears newegg has a small bug in their selection software, the 945 was listed as being a compatible Core 2 chipset.
I am not interested in spending more on my memory than my CPU, if that were the case, I'd just get a better CPU and forget the OC'ing altogether.
Remember, I am going for silence, not OC'ing headroom. It seems to me that the OCZ platinum rev 2 memory is getting top marks and is priced around $200 for 2GB, spending $100 more on the team group just doesn't seem worth it, especially given my needs.

Back