• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing and strange temporary solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rickfin

Registered
Hi! About a week ago my computer started to occasionally. First when I watching a movie and then when I using guitar pro. Orthos blend also froze my system after couple of hours but it was small ffts stable. This was @8x400. I couldn't figure out what was the problem. I had an idea and put 8x402 with same voltages and everything. And guess what it was rock solod. Orthos blend was 17 hours stable without errors and no freezes. Now after a week I'm get another freezes first in Armed assault and then in supreme commander. What could be the problem? I'm very confused more fsb--> more stable doesn't make sense. Other voltages are @ defaut except ram @2.1v. Bios is F10.

rickfin said:
Hi! About a week ago my computer started to occasionally. First when I watching a movie and then when I using guitar pro. Orthos blend also froze my system after couple of hours but it was small ffts stable. This was @8x400. I couldn't figure out what was the problem. I had an idea and put 8x402 with same voltages and everything. And guess what it was rock solod. Orthos blend was 17 hours stable without errors and no freezes. Now after a week I'm get another freezes first in Armed assault and then in supreme commander. What could be the problem? I'm very confused more fsb--> more stable doesn't make sense. Other voltages are @ defaut except ram @2.1v. Bios is F10.

What is your RAM divider? At that speed, it should be 1:1. Along with that, try upping your voltage a step or two to see if that fixes the stability problem.

Ram is 1:1. I upped the vcore to 1.2645 but it didn't help. I think that the cpu isn't the problem because last time it was freezing I was still able to do small ffts. Maybe I should up the other voltages(FSB, MCH..)?

most 965 mobos have a "hole" in the fsb between 350 and 400. setting to 401 gets you past this "hole".

hUMANbEATbOX said:
most 965 mobos have a "hole" in the fsb between 350 and 400. setting to 401 gets you past this "hole".
Thats good to know. But now the comp is freezing with 402 fsb. A week ago it was at least 17 hours blend and 24 small ffts stable with 8x402 1.25v. What's causing this?

rickfin said:
Ram is 1:1. I upped the vcore to 1.2645 but it didn't help. I think that the cpu isn't the problem because last time it was freezing I was still able to do small ffts. Maybe I should up the other voltages(FSB, MCH..)?

Sorry, should have been more specific there. I meant your RAM voltage...lol :bday:

rickfin said:
Ram is @2.1V as said in my first post.

...?

In my previous post I requested that you up your voltages. Have you tried upping the RAM voltage?

thideras said:
...?

In my previous post I requested that you up your voltages. Have you tried upping the RAM voltage?
Oops! I read too quickly..Upping the ram voltage made to system more unstable.

rickfin said:
Oops! I read too quickly..Upping the ram voltage made to system more unstable.

What?! It shouldn't....can you loosen the RAM timings a little?

I doubt the ram is the problem, because I can run memtest86 12+ hours without errors. I think the motherbard is causing this but ds3's nb gets quite hot so I don't want to up the motherboard voltages if I don't really have to.

I found when my P5B-D NB was getting to hot it limited my OC. So I pulled off the stupid aluminum thingy that said Asus on it and stuck a 40mm fan via rubber bands on it. The NB doesn't burn to the touch anymore and everything is a lot more stable now.

inkfx said:
I found when my P5B-D NB was getting to hot it limited my OC. So I pulled off the stupid aluminum thingy that said Asus on it and stuck a 40mm fan via rubber bands on it. The NB doesn't burn to the touch anymore and everything is a lot more stable now.

umm, heatsink = surface area. removing it is teh bad.

remounting with thermalpaste and fan, however is a good call.

or even a heatsink upgrade with paste and fan

and i can allso confirm by BT-6 did not like voltage. its not totally a wacky thing.

orionlion82 said:
umm, heatsink = surface area. removing it is teh bad.

remounting with thermalpaste and fan, however is a good call.

or even a heatsink upgrade with paste and fan

and i can allso confirm by BT-6 did not like voltage. its not totally a wacky thing.
he didn't remove the whole heatsink, just the stupid cover that asus puts over top of it, that totally blocks all airflow into the sink.

The Nb isn't hot to touch but it's warm ofcourse. My case antec 900 has pretty good air flow and I have an Antec spotcool flowing air to the nb heatsink from distance(Can get the spotcool close to nb heatsink because the tuniq tower is so big). Should I try to up the motherboard voltages?

What's the stock voltage for the processor? Rereading your posts, it seems like you aren't putting enough voltage through the CPU. Try giving it some more and run Orthos small FFTs again.

I can run small ffts without freezing but blend and sometimes games freezes the system. I ran orthos small ffts @8x402 1.25V(default) 24 hours without freezing and errors a weeks ago (as well blend over 17 hours) so the cpu isn't probably the problem.

inkfx said:
Hm, and you say Memtest86 passes 12+ hours. Strange. My next bet would pointed towards not enough voltage through the NB/SB.
12h memtest session was a couple of weeks ago with 8x400. Maybe I should run it again but memory isn't probably the issue. Maybe I should add voltage to NB as you said.

rickfin said:
12h memtest session was a couple of weeks ago with 8x400. Maybe I should run it again but memory isn't probably the issue. Maybe I should add voltage to NB as you said.

I second the motion, keep us updated! :bday:

Back