• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor 150gb locking up and not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Annoyingrob

I'm having a problem with my system. System specs are Asus A8N-SLI Premium, dual core [email protected], 2gb ram, enermax 650w PSU, Radeon X850xt, and 2x75gb raptors in Raid 0 (onboard SiI 3114 chipset). This setup runs perfectly.

I recently got 2x150gb raptors, and was attemting to move everything over to them, but ran into serious problems. Everything would seem to work fine for a minute, then nothing. I would reboot the system, and one of the new raptors wouldn't show up. I had to power down the system for it to come back. It does this in windows and in the raid bios trying to LLF the drive. For some reason, the drive (either one, it does it on both) will lock up, and fail to do anything until power is cycled. Is there a conflict somewhere with my system? I've heard of similar stories but have yet to hear a reason why.

The 74gb raptors work fine, but the 150gb raptors don't. The drives were confirmed to be working in another system.

I've stumbled upon something that seems very relevant.......

I'm attempting to run two Raptor X drives. It seems that WD has disabled TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) in the X models, a feature, that when disabled in a raid array can cause drives to seemingly "drop out" of the array. This would explain why my old raptors work fine, but these don't.

I guess the next step is to find the utility to re-enable TLER, and try again.

Very well could be the problem, but you're the first I've seen with it if TLER enabling solves your problem. I haven't seen anyone mentioning to have the program for download, so you'll have to get a hold of WD for it. Hope it works out for ya.

Back