• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x8800GTS 620MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exile960

Registered
Hello, sorry if this has already been posted or is in another topic. I have been searching for awhile and just kind of need opinions now.
I am currently building my rig (waiting on mobo, which has to be sent back), but my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 - I planned to OC to 3.2 if I could.
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
with the Heatsink I use Arctic Silver 5.

Plus, of course the 8800GTS 620MB. I have been looking around and reading various benchmarks and have noticed quite a big difference in SLI and not. However, I dont know if it is really worth it if just one card can get the job done? I really want to run everything on the highest, because that is the main reason I am building this PC. But I also do not just want to spend money to get that extra 10 FPS etc. Can I OC my video card and with the help of OC on the 6600, will I be in good shape in the long run?

Any explanation and advice would be great, thanks a lot.

Oh, I do have a monitor to run games in 1600x1200 as well, if that makes any difference. I do not normally play many games at that resolution, but I do enjoy it when a I find a game it looks good on and feels good to play at that distance.

Right now, I am running one 8800 GTS with two monitors. It's doing great, but I'll add another 8800 GTS in the near future. Looks like to me you are going to run into a power supply issue if you go SLi with two 8800s.

GundamWZero said:
Right now, I am running one 8800 GTS with two monitors. It's doing great, but I'll add another 8800 GTS in the near future. Looks like to me you are going to run into a power supply issue if you go SLi with two 8800s.

Why is that? Do I not have a good enough one to handle it?

My mistake AC3421, I am so glad you took some time off your hands to point out my little typo. That means so much <333!!!. .. .. ......hug?

If the power supply is not SLi ready, then the power supply may not have dedicated voltage for two video cards, especially if its a 8800 GT series. SLi power supply units will continue to supply the proper voltages for the cards, even if there is a current draw for something else. A standard psu will draw its voltage from all sources to supply the proper power to the highest power craving device, which in most cases, the gpu. So if you get the blue screen of death and there is a error message when you restart your computer, chances are a componet isn't getting the propper voltage, or it has burned up.......and you can normally smell that.

I had power problems when I installed two 6800 GS a while back; I was using a 320w psu!!!! The damn thing kept crashing!!! As soon as I switched to a 440w psu (but wasn't SLi ready), those problems went away. Now, I switched to a 500w SLi ready psu when I bought a dual core processor, and a 8800GTS Video card. So when I return to SLi, I will have the power to sustain it.

That PSU is fine for 2 GTS's if you go that route. The 2 PCI-E connectors are on thier own 18a rails.

Alright, thanks a lot to both of you for explaining that. I figured it would be fine, so hopefully one day I can get another when it is worth it.

Back