• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech's SetPoint v3.30

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wnnbgwrrr

Just a short while ago I started this thread regarding my dissatisfaction with SetPoint. The only version of SetPoint I had used extensively was v3.10 and just the other day I noticed a new version of SetPoint had been release (as well as a 64bit version, I don't know if that is new.) So I've figured in all fairness I should give it a shot. At first glance it looks more bloated than ever @ 50MBs, and in addition you now have to deselect the yahoo toolbar before installing. I don't think there are too many of us that are going to miss the 50MBs, but that is absurd for a mice/keyboard software when said mouse/keyboard will function perfectly well without it. But anyway to get to the point, I like Logitech mainly because the seem to make quality products and more importantly present an attractive alternative to Microsoft so I'm eternally hopeful that the provide improved software to accompany their products. And I just thought I could let everyone know, as someone who stopped using SetPoint before, if I perceive any improvement in SetPoint with version 3.30. And of course anyone with any opinions about this version of any other version of SetPoint please feel free to express your feelings and talk about your experiences.

Well SetPoint v3.30 has been on machine for 72 hours straight hours or so, and I haven't had to reinstall it once! :rolleyes: It has actually gone almost entirely unnoticed, then again I haven't even so much as run the program yet. I also haven't logged onto the computer under a limited account so I don't know if the updates that it automatically looks for on every log-in still require administrative rights. So at this point I can't comment on any new features, but it's nice to know if you completely ignore it, it will go relatively unnoticed. The only exception I've found to that is when I'm restarting my computer as it is the only program that takes longer than a second to load at startup.

For my purposes and my particular Logitech product, the Cordless Desktop S 510, I can't justify keeping SetPoint installed on my computer. And I don't even know if the particular issues I experience are of any real relevance (all though I'd be happy to speak of them if anyone was to ask.) I only say that because issues could be particular to the programs I run or the setup I have. So I want to come at this from the other side. There were only 3 reasons I ever had for thinking that SetPoint would be a useful thing:

1) SetPoint allows me to use my mouse to scroll horizontally.

2) The keyboard security option which encrypts the communication between my keyboard and computer, making my keystrokes undetectable by other computers.

3) The game detection setting and corresponding game mode settings which looked promising in terms of maximizing the utility, compatability, or performance of my mouse; or any combination of any of those things.

And here's my thoughts on those 3 things as of right now:

1) Who cares? Its a poorly conceived idea. It doesn't scroll fast enough even with the speed turned all the way up and I just can't get use to pushing on my scroll wheel sidewise.

2) I'm pretty sure once you opted to secure your keyboard it stays that way whether you have SetPoint running or not. I have uninstalled/reinstalled SetPoint a number of times and only ever had to select the keyboard security option once. Every since then it has always reported the connection as already secured.

3) I suspect that enabling game mode detection can actually result in taking an hit in game performance... I'll admit I haven't tested that theory thoroughly but I also haven't noticed it doing so much as one of the things I hoped it would do.

So SetPoint is coming off (once again), and I won't have to wait so long when I restart my computer (because of all the programs that load at startup SetPoint was always the longest.) SetPoint I will not miss ye, and I hope I'm not naive enough to reinstall you the next time you come out with some trifling updated version that is everything that previous version was + 11MBs.

I wouldn't use it if my BT kb/mouse worked without it. I think the media keys would work without it also, but not sure on that account.

Back