• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumpy HD video playback on Vista...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tLove

Okay, I could run HD videos fine when I was on Windows XP (quicktime trailers, ripped HD movies, anything 720p or lower ran perfectly fine).

Now I've switched over to Vista, installed the latest drivers (100.65) for my GPU (7800gs) and things are playing jumpy.

All of my standard videos are playing, but nothing large. I can't play the Transformers movie trailer (720p) anymore cause its far too jumpy. I can play a few trailers smoothly, but not many. None of my ripped TV shows (Heroes & Lost) will play smoothly either.

I installed K-Lite Codec pack (FULL) and use Media Player Classic to play everything.

Games work completely fine, Aero runs fine.... I don't really know what to do. Any suggestions or anybody have similar problems?

cause with aero running you videos are slowing down. aero uses the gpu in 3d mode from what i have read. if you disabled aero i would expect you videos to run fine.

Yea, but my roommate has Aero running, and he can play HD videos perfectly smooth... and he only has a 7600GT compared to my 7800GS.

However he is running a Conroe e6300.... and I still have my P4 3.0... do you think thats helping him a lot?

HD takes a lot of CPU time, especially H.264. I'm guessing Vista takes more cpu overhead than XP, so this is why you're having trouble with HD in Vista. HD-WMV should do better than H.264 as it has a lower cpu requirement.

So I took off Aero (and was throughly annoyed by the lack of eye candy) and tried running HD stuff.

Well, both LOST and Heroes works great now, no slow down. But when I tried to play the transformers trailer I had not as much luck. It seemed to play better, but still not watchable.

yes the stock E6300 will do better then the P4. since i didnt know what your cpu was... i could have told ya off hand that the p4 would jug with hd vidoes. if you watch lots of movies on you pc then you might want to upgrade... if you wait till around april, intel cpu price cuts will be taking place. the E4300 that i would suggest is going to be at the $100 price point. be the best bang per buck when oced, all the E4300 do 2.4ghz on stock v. Some can oc as high as 3ghz with stock v if you get lucky.

Check your cpu load when playing these videos. Is it maxed out? If it's not, then you're probably i/o bound. If it is, then you're cpu bound. This will give us some idea where to go next.

It's quite possible Vista is just eating up resources to the point of there not being enough left for the videos, HD playback is very tough for computers.

Yes. Vista asks for a little more from your cpu than XP. Go to this site from Nvidia:

http://www.nzone.com/content/nzone/srl/nzone_srl.asp?gameid=3596

Don't let this fool you, this will check out whether or not your system can run Vista. Normally with a couple high performance componets, it'll say you can Vista, but there maybe a part that can't.....and it will tell you what that part is. It will check:

CPU
CPU Speed
System Ram
Video Card
VideoCard Version
Direct X version

Hell.... it'll check you entire computer out. it will then tell you whether you meet minimum, recommended or optimal standards. Its a good platform to use if you are in the market to upgrade your system.

GundamWZero said:
Yes. Vista asks for a little more from your cpu than XP.

Uh, yeah, that's kinda like saying the sun is hot. According to that site you need "Intel Core 2 Duo/AMD Athlon X2 or better" and a clock speed of "Recommended: 3.4 GHz" to run the pimped out version of vista. They don't even MAKE those processors with a clock speed that high. I guess technically speaking, no processor made by amd or intel is sufficient to run vista ultimate. Either that or the test on that page is wrong on at least one processor requirement. I'd bet on the latter.

try playing ti with vlc media player its a less itensive programs when my wmp ahs troubles with videos due to my **** computer vlc ussualy does the trick plus its free and plays EVERYTHING (not joking htere)

yea VLC hd playback for the WIN .

and its your fault for upgrading to vista anyway... its a pointless upgrade. If you got that kinda money to waste send it to me :)

Vista has playback issues. It doesnt matter the Media player. VLC, Quicktime and WM11 all have playback problems. I have my 6600 and i have sketchy playback on audio when i transfer files, And when i run HD (8800 gts, not video card guys ;) the playback with skip every 5 minutes or so.
According to that site you need "Intel Core 2 Duo/AMD Athlon X2 or better" and a clock speed of "Recommended: 3.4 GHz to run the pimped out version of vista. They don't even MAKE those processors with a clock speed that high"
Ummm.....Your *EDIT*. DUAL core means whatever ur clock speed is....you DOUBLE it. Dee Dee Dee.

This is a vista error that is going to be fixed either in June which is the intended release of their first BIG update. Or when Windows Syk8 comes out and they update all Client computers.

So yes this is kinda ur fault for using Vista. But if you ride it out for 2 weeks itll be fixed. =] If your paranoid about CPU usage, use VLC but i guarantee youll still have issues. Hope this helps. if anyone ACTUALLY knows if there is a fix for this VISTA ERROR. Reply please =]

Keep it civil...or you'll not be posting, mmkay?

LutaWicasa

Last edited by a moderator:
Frickalik said:
Ummm.....Your *EDIT*. DUAL core means whatever ur clock speed is....you DOUBLE it. Dee Dee Dee.

Hopefully that gets you a short vacation from OCF. Please refrain from insulting fellow members, it doesn't make you any better :eek:

dan

Frickalik said:
Vista has playback issues. It doesnt matter the Media player. VLC, Quicktime and WM11 all have playback problems. I have my 6600 and i have sketchy playback on audio when i transfer files, And when i run HD (8800 gts, not video card guys ;) the playback with skip every 5 minutes or so. Ummm.....Your *EDIT*. DUAL core means whatever ur clock speed is....you DOUBLE it. Dee Dee Dee.

This is a vista error that is going to be fixed either in June which is the intended release of their first BIG update. Or when Windows Syk8 comes out and they update all Client computers.

So yes this is kinda ur fault for using Vista. But if you ride it out for 2 weeks itll be fixed. =] If your paranoid about CPU usage, use VLC but i guarantee youll still have issues. Hope this helps. if anyone ACTUALLY knows if there is a fix for this VISTA ERROR. Reply please =]
not a very nice tone to take with him. You dont double your clock speed for dual cores.... 2.4ghz is 2.4ghz no matter how you slice it. just because its dual core you dont add it to make 4.8ghz. the way programs are written is that you either can use the second core which is still only 2.4ghz. even then your not going to get a speed doubling just by having 2 cores. Microsoft needs to get their stuff together cause that cpu speed they are quoting is for P4/PD's or neburst based cpus. you just cant look at the clock speed like that vs c2d's.

Back