• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core 2.66 GHz cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magikron

Registered
What is a good but not too expensive mobo for overclocking my Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core 2.66 GHz cpu as I am new to ocing but doing my homework . I want to do it right the first time.:bang head

Well...what's expensive to you? Tell us your price range and some of us could recommend some motherboards.
"Good" = "Expensive" often enough...

these are some of the mobos I am considering for overclocking can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, Asus P5NSLI, Asus P5VD2-X, Asus P5L-VM 1394, Asus P5B Deluxe, Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 P965.

I just 'traded' my P5B Deluxe away, it was a pretty nice motherboard i'd say, but i just wanted something new so i got this DFI for it. I wanted to wait till i had this board to do the watercooling set up, so i only had stock cooling, but on the Asus i got 350FSB stable. only thing keeping me back was heat/ram. I imagine you'd get pretty high with an 805 with good cooling.

My vote goes for the Asus P5B. although it may be slightly more expensive

First of all, Wellcome magikron to OcF ! :)

Since you said you want to do it right from the 1st time, then the most important is the choice of "mother" /mobo.

Suggesting P5B Dlx since it is known one of the best mobo below $200 for OCing Intel's CPU families starting from Pentium D, C2D to latest Quad QX.

As GigaHertzAddict said, it has the unique 8 phases PWM that can supply powerfull juice/power to the CPU which one of the major key factor in OC-ing.

My current rig P5B Dlx, D 805, Value RAM 2 X512 DDR2-5300 -> 3.6 Ghz at 24/7 , while for some suicide run with 2 hours stable Orthos at 3.9 Ghz, or the unique cool 1.1000V VCore.

Note : All of those was on Intel "stock" cooler and still using it ! I'm temperature limited, just waiting for these April for major Intel price reduction. :)

Last edited:
note that i could not get my 805 to boot on a gigabyte 965-ds3 w/ ddr2-667. I'm not sure if it is the same with all 965p motherboards with the 805 because of the 533mhz fsb, but i'd get DDR2-533 to be safe, no matter what board you buy.

The biostar tforce has the same issue.. I would suspect the S3 would also have it.

Its hard to argue with 8 phase for a smithfeild, and or upgraded PWN (fet) cooling.

Back