• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smooth wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I need help with the the software. what do you use what os? So to hook it up it goes phone jack to modem to smoothwall to router to computers

You said phone jack to modem, we're talking DSL here, right? The smoothwall CD is bootable, and the install is fairly simple. I assume you'll want 2 NICs, One for green (LAN) and one for red (internet)

smokie mcpott said:
smoothwall is the OS
http://smoothwall.org/
read the documentation there
and use smoothwall express 2.0 w/sp1 ..not the alpha 3.0

QFT. Go read the install guide, the install is pretty tough without it! Understand the green/red/orange/blue ports and know what each one is for. Be sure to mark the NIC on the back of the pc so you can remember which one is green and which one is red.

For anyone wondering about smoothwall:
It's a custom OS that turns any computer into a stand-alone router. Requirements are very low, most P2's with 128mb of ram are more than enough. You need 2 or more NICs. One is for your cable/dsl modem, the other goes out to a switch where all your computers are. (Can use an AP or convert a normal router to a switch + AP)

Anyone want to talk stability? My IPCop (kinda like smoothwall) box has been up for 237+ days, and the internet has been active for 114+ days. I've got lots of stuff running wired and wireless. Nothing can stop my IPCop box! My goal is 365+ days uptime.

If I didnt keep tinkering with my smoothie, I might be able to compete. Too bad, I keep going back and changing NICS, or whatever. Also considering that the last 2 smoothwalls have had hardware issues (2 bad HDD,s 1 bad MB).

Hell if I hadnt moved it out here, I would be able to beat you with a win2k lappie that I have.

Bios24 said:
Anyone want to talk stability? My IPCop (kinda like smoothwall) box has been up for 237+ days, and the internet has been active for 114+ days. I've got lots of stuff running wired and wireless. Nothing can stop my IPCop box! My goal is 365+ days uptime.

My old one was up for over a year, so long that I came across it one day (at old job) and I was getting ready to use it elsewhere as I forgot what it was there for. Very, very reliable.

I run ipcop now as well, which is probably even easier for the beginner to setup

ipcop is actually a fork of the smoothwall project. I think it's better though, as the smoothwall people made a commercial version and have focused a lot on supporting that, while the ipcop guys are fully committed to supporting their gpl'd version.

cw823 said:
You said phone jack to modem, we're talking DSL here, right? The smoothwall CD is bootable, and the install is fairly simple. I assume you'll want 2 NICs, One for green (LAN) and one for red (internet)
yes it's dsl. So if i do this can i still use my wrt56gs router the way it is?

core2due said:
yes it's dsl. So if i do this can i still use my wrt56gs router the way it is?

I would still use it, but only use it as a switch and an access point. As said previously, the smoothwall box is now your router. You can google the process, but it's fairly simple. It's just a matter of turning off DHCP (because smoothwall now does this) And not using your Linksys routers 'WAN' port. You'll plug your smoothwall box into 'port 1' and use port 2-4 for computers, as well as traditional wireless devices. This way you can administor everything from the smoothwall box, and still set up wireless from the linksys setup page.

So i might do this but i was wondering what other types of severs there are that i could make.I already have a file sever

So what's the deal here? You have a spare computer and you want to know what to do with it?

If the PC has enough horsepower you could make it into an ORB server. Maybe a web/ftp server? Do you game? If you have the bandwidth you could set up a gamingserver?. If it has enough storage space you could use FreeNAS or OpenFiler to make a NAS for backups and storage. I forget the app, but I did see a security system app that can monitor cameras and such.

Ya with some parts i got laying around and if i need a part that i don't have i'm going to get it off ebay.It'll be a p2 or p3. I don't think i'll do a game server.

Back