• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kronickhigh

Registered
i did an upgrade today
cpu 3.2ghz w/ HT 800 MHz FSB
2 Gigs dual channel pc3200
e geforce 6200 LE

my ram is only clocking at 200 MHz

what gives?

i had a gig in there and it was clocking at 400 MHz. I replaced both sticks with 4 512 MB ones, all the same.

DDR400 RAM is clocked in at 200mhz.

ddr stands for double data rate, so 200mhz DDR would be pumping out what seems like 400mhz.

so you're ok don't worry about it.

ok... thanks

I just thought that I had seen the last bit of ram running at 400, so then what's the deal with the dual channel?

Kronickhigh said:
ok... thanks

I just thought that I had seen the last bit of ram running at 400, so then what's the deal with the dual channel?
You could look at it this way: Single chanel memory performs one read or one write per clock tick. Dual chanel performs two operations per clock tick, so at the same speed dual chanel handles twice as much data, so, in essence dual chanel, DDR400 spec'd memory runs at 200mhz, but handles data like it was at 400mhz.

oh... well groovy... now if I can just figure out why my CPU is over heating. :bang head

lol, check to make sure that the fan is working properly, clean out the fan/heatsink combo. Also, I can assume that it may be a prescott processor? They always run hot, but it could be a northwood right?

yep... it's a prescott... and I have it fixed... kinda...

i got a new case in addition

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...er_HTPC_Case_Black_VB2000BNS.html?tl=g1c10s25

I'm using the coolermaster hyper 48... it's got a 4 pin connector, I only have three pin connectors. Apperently with that particular heatsink, if you have it plugged into a 3 pin, it runs the fan at the lowest speed, 1600 rpm. I learned last night what that 4th pin is (the wpm connector). It would seem if you connect tht last pin to the 12v thingy (the middle of the 3 pin connection) it runs the fan at the highest speed, 3800 rpm. I fashioned a paper clip to do this.So it went from a cpu range of 62-72 degrees, to 52-64 degrees. The thing that urks me is that my friend that had this before me (same case, and cooling, different motherboard) She was getting it in the low 40's.

Back