• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friend keeps getting portscanned in university

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I've got a friend who has some firewall, and it keeps detecting a portscan from the same ip. He's reported it a bunch of times to the IT guys, but nothing has really been done yet. Apparently he's going to get banned sometime. Is a portscan really anything to worry about? I don't have a firewall on my laptop (but I don't do anything that needs to be secured like buying online or banking etc), but I just want to make sure its not a huge deal.

why do people think being port scanned is such a big deal?

chill man, its probably just someone else on the network who has been infected. Make sure he has his windows updated and there is nothing to worry about.

IT is just going to laugh at you.

Xenocide said:
why do people think being port scanned is such a big deal?

chill man, its probably just someone else on the network who has been infected. Make sure he has his windows updated and there is nothing to worry about.

IT is just going to laugh at you.
Kayson said:
Is a portscan really anything to worry about?
I didn't think it was a big deal. I was wondering if it should be since I didn't think so. and IT took it completely seriously. I guess my school's IT sucks...

so somebody within the network is port scanning you? Why would IT laugh at you if you told them? Do you think that the IT dept wants rogue systems on their network?

Are your network addresses public or private?

Port scanning can be done for a variety of reasons. In many instances, a potentially unethical hacker or malicious program is attempting to gather intelligence. The first step is to make the determination of who's responsibility it is to deal with the problem. You have to determine if something unethical is going on, if so, then whoever is responsible for the network in question should probably take action. If it is from inside your universities private network, then it is definitely something the IT would want to know about if they did not already know. IF the scanning is comming from the Internet, then it is somebody else's problem, and you should harden your system and employ the use of a firewall. Just because its somebody else's problem doesn't mean that they don't want to know about it. Portscanning and network mapping on the internet is extremely common and a notable amount of bandwidth is actually occuring because of unethical activities. As a result, you should be conscientious and careful what systems you trust.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the addresses are public. Regardless, the scan is coming from inside the school. I even know the guy's first name (assuming that his computer name is actually his name-dunno why youd put a fake name). I'm not too worried about it.

If you getting an indication from your FW (or other security device/software,) that you're being scanned, then your security is doing it's job. Even out here in the enterprise world we don't give it too much thought unless it's impacting the network. It's the stuff we don't know about that bothers us.

Back