• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does memorex DL media compare to verbatim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
deciding which to get
@ officemax i get $15 off anything because i still have many catridges.
i can PM 15 memorex @ $25-15 = $10 for 15 disks
or i can buy 10 verbatim for $35-15 =$20 for 10 disks

but for this backup purpose, i want to be sure i have good qual media

According to CDFreaks at the CDFreaks forum the only real reliable DL is verbatim at the moment. People there post up their scans of media. I figure you can get away with Memorex, but might have some skips. If you are just looking for something to hold some data then it doesn't matter that much.

I know after I switched from generic(CMC, Prodisc, RitekG05) to Taiyo Yuden G03 & the better G02 I rarely experience skips on my movies. My old RitekG03 were really good, but they do not manufacture them anymore and they were only 2x burn speed.

Until things take a drastic change, I will not buy anything other than Verbatim DL or TY SL disks.

Memorex is crap. I stopped using their stuff because any memorex CD I used in my CD player skipped. The quality is just bad. Rough edges etc. I've had much better luck with Sony CDs and DVDs.

I can't talk about DL Discs, but I've burned hundreds of Memorex cd's and dvd's and they've all been perfect for me.

What are you going to burn? If you're just backing up movies I say give the Memorex DL media a try. If you're burning something important like photos or a backup, then you may want to spend the extra money and get the Verbatim DL's.

Bios24 said:
What are you going to burn? If you're just backing up movies I say give the Memorex DL media a try. If you're burning something important like photos or a backup, then you may want to spend the extra money and get the Verbatim DL's.

I think you have it backwards. If it is just data (photos, backup, files) then any media should be fine. When burning movies you should definitely stick with Verbatim DL.

My understanding is that there are several checks for each block of data. If it errors then it checks the next check then the next, then it goes into failure and has to retry to error correct. When playing a movie if your DVD player has to do this for several blocks of data then that will cause a skip/freeze(because the dvd player usually doesn't read ahead and store into cache). When putting this disk into your computer your computer will spend the extra second or two reading the disk and storing content information to cache/memory.

Its sort of like streaming a video. If your internet cuts out for a second or two you will get a freeze, because not enough data has been cached to cover that second.

Back