• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Connect 360 to Media Center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
The first time I ran the Media Center Add-on for XP i got all the way up to the part where it asks you to type in the 8 digit code of the 360. Then it said I was connected to the 360 and everything was fine. But THEN when it asked to test the connection it wouldn't work. And I haven't been able to connect to my 360 since. (Though it says, on the 360, that I'm connected to a media center based computer.)

I tried disabling all the wirewalls and everything else I could think of. No dice.

Any ideas?

This may sound stupid, but did you share your folders and did you install windows media connect? You also need to install windows media connect as well.
I've got to rush out the door to work. If you need the link to it, let me know and I'll find it for you later.

Last edited:
I thought Media Connect was absorbed into Media Center 11?

Are you using a router to connect to the PC? Have you tested the connection on the 360 to Live, I had to change my MTU settings to get mine to connect to Live, etc.

Could your router be blocking certain protocols?

You said you tried with your firewall disabled, are you using Norton, AVG, Mcaffe?

Also, did you connect the xbox to pc, then reformat the PC. I only ask because you need a new code each time you connect to the PC for the first time.

Just trying to get more info, thats all.

(1) I have problems using Media Player 11 to connect my Xbox 360 to my laptop; Windows Media Connect works just fine. This is one of the things holding me from a potential Vista upgrade.

(2) In order to stream movies and music, there are several ports that need to be opened. I'd do some searching on Xbox.com on this.

(3) In order for us to help you more, we'll need more info about your setup:

How are you connecting to the 360?
What is your OS?
What software are you using? (WMP 11 in XP, Vista, WMC)?

deception``

FudgeNuggets said:
This may sound stupid, but did you share your folders and did you install windows media connect? You also need to install windows media connect as well.
I've got to rush out the door to work. If you need the link to it, let me know and I'll find it for you later.

I have a gateway laptop with Personal Firewall plus.

OF COURSE i know about Windows media extender and all that. (You only need Media Connect if you DON'T have Media Center Edition.) The thing is I go through the setup, and everything seems to work fine, it connects to the 360 and on the 360, under computers, it says I'm connected to Media Center, but when I get to the Media Center screen it says the "Connection was terminated by remote program."

So I don't think it's a problem with my router (where I've disabled the firewall) or the 360 (Where I've been playing games on Live for the past two months.) And, like Fr3k3r said I've allowed all the ports in McAffee firewall plus and it still won't work. AND i've completely exited the firewall and it STILL won't work.

Two things come immediately to mind:

1. Fast-user Switching
2. Welcome Screen

Windows Media Center is supposed to create a new user to connect the 360, this is also supposed to make you go to the Welcome Screen every time you boot up. I'm guessing the firewall on my computer didn't allow it to configure this correctly because no additional users have been created and I still boot straight into windows. Be nice if MS told us how to do this MANUALLY.

Like I said, I've exited completely out of the McAfee suite to no avail. It might be that I need to completely uninstall McAffee, but it came pre-installed and I don't have a subscription key or anything if I need to re-install it latere

I've got Media Center Edition 2005 and I had that issue in the beginning too. I also use Windows Media Connect WITH MCE2K5. I also had to share my folders as well. Beyond that, I've got nothing....

rainless said:
I have a gateway laptop with Personal Firewall plus.

OF COURSE i know about Windows media extender and all that. (You only need Media Connect if you DON'T have Media Center Edition.) The thing is I go through the setup, and everything seems to work fine, it connects to the 360 and on the 360, under computers, it says I'm connected to Media Center, but when I get to the Media Center screen it says the "Connection was terminated by remote program."

So I don't think it's a problem with my router (where I've disabled the firewall) or the 360 (Where I've been playing games on Live for the past two months.) And, like Fr3k3r said I've allowed all the ports in McAffee firewall plus and it still won't work. AND i've completely exited the firewall and it STILL won't work.

Two things come immediately to mind:

1. Fast-user Switching
2. Welcome Screen

Windows Media Center is supposed to create a new user to connect the 360, this is also supposed to make you go to the Welcome Screen every time you boot up. I'm guessing the firewall on my computer didn't allow it to configure this correctly because no additional users have been created and I still boot straight into windows. Be nice if MS told us how to do this MANUALLY.

Like I said, I've exited completely out of the McAfee suite to no avail. It might be that I need to completely uninstall McAffee, but it came pre-installed and I don't have a subscription key or anything if I need to re-install it latere

All that sound's fine and dandy, but you should be using Windows Media Connect, even with MCE 2005. As Fudge stated, we both use very identical setups and connect to the 360 quite fine.

To recapt, I greatly urge you to try Windows Media Connect, as it solved all of my problems.

deception``

deception`` said:
All that sound's fine and dandy, but you should be using Windows Media Connect, even with MCE 2005. As Fudge stated, we both use very identical setups and connect to the 360 quite fine.

To recapt, I greatly urge you to try Windows Media Connect, as it solved all of my problems.

deception``

Well the thing is I don't even have the OPTION of downloading Windows Media Connect. And I'm still not exactly sure why I need it...

When I go to http://www.xbox.com/pcsetup, it detects that I'm in XP Media Center and takes me straight to the Media Center Setup page where they give me the option of downloading the Media Center Extender.

So do you actually have media center? Because, if I'm understanding everything correctly, Windows Media Connect runs through Media Player 11, and I will be playing my media through the Media Center instead... which is supposed to have functionality that Media Player does not.

But if you can link to the file (although it may just redirect me when I try to go there) or upload it, I'm willing to give it a shot.

It looks like Microsoft pulled Windows Media Connect after Media Player 11 came out :(

I've got Windows Media Center 2K5 running Media Cener 10, with Windows Media Connect, so I guess that things have changed if you upgraded to v.11 as I never upgraded because I like each version less and less. There's a new troubleshooting guide on xbox.com if you have Media Center 11, if you have 10, I think I may still have a copy of Windows Media Connect that I can e-mail you.

Here's the Microsoft.com info page:
ttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/default.aspx

FudgeNuggets said:
It looks like Microsoft pulled Windows Media Connect after Media Player 11 came out :(

I've got Windows Media Center 2K5 running Media Cener 10, with Windows Media Connect, so I guess that things have changed if you upgraded to v.11 as I never upgraded because I like each version less and less. There's a new troubleshooting guide on xbox.com if you have Media Center 11, if you have 10, I think I may still have a copy of Windows Media Connect that I can e-mail you.

Here's the Microsoft.com info page:
ttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/default.aspx

Thanks Fudge. I'll get you that email address. :beer:

rain,

I had the exact problem, "connection reset, blah, blah, blah".

It was my firewall, plain and simple. It would give the indication that it was connected on the System > Computers tab, but under Media Center, it would never connect.

Even going through Grisoft (AVG) tech help, disabling the suspect ports, sending the FW blockage list, and wasting 3 weeks, I still have to disable the firewall every single time I want to media share. Grisoft says it should work, but it doesn't and they blame MS. So...

I don't know McCaffe at all, but 9:1, McCaffe is causing it.

BTW I am using MCE 2005 update 2 (HDTV update), MP11, AVG firewall, and a 360 on ICS. :)

FudgeNuggets said:

Well I installed Windows Media Connect, and I can connect to the 360, but that was never the problem. I could ALREADY connect to the 360, but, like I said and as Vamp pointed out, it won't let me share media. I think it's the damned firewall. I guess I'll have to email McAffee or something. They actually have an entire page dedicated to my version of McAffee, but nothing I try will get it to work.

Try using the zune software it works well for me and yes I know it sucks having to download all these different programs.

You did authorize your console and share folders in Media Center Connect, right?

When you get it working, you may also want to get Transcode360 as that will let you play ANY media type on the 360 where as it'll normally just play WMA, Mpeg2, MP3 and WMV.

I too am having a problem connecting my 360 to the pc. But i can connect to xbox live no problem. My pc, through either wm11 or zune both see the xbox360 but the 360 can not connect to the pc? Router linksys wrt54g and I'm running pccilln. the ip of the 360 is trusted in the pccillin. i've tried turning off the windows firewall and the pccilin but still can not connect.

Sorry to thread jack.

I have the xbox wireless usb adapter.

Back