• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Broadband Bandwidth Jump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

I've logged on this morning to download some stuff. Now I usually get a D/L speed of about 450kbps but this morning im getting above 1.1mb constant speed. Has anyone else seen a hike in there throughput?

I ran a speed test using http://www.speedtest.net/ and it gave me result

Ping :- 44
Download :- 4681 (I did get 9308 on a few tests)
Upload :- 489

Holy crap a ping of 44? Im lucky to get double that. Been as low as 75 once but never lower. I do have a crappy internet connection in my area due to drgraded lines though.

really? im on 'old' adsl that i get down a good old fashioned telephone wire and I get a ping of around 60...thats with the test server being miles away! lol, i only get 1.9mbs down and 250kbs up tho :/

Comcast apparently upgraded our service area recently. I've been hitting well over 1MB downloads on some occasions. Upload hasn't really changed though.

92541354.png

Well considering that the US is lagging further and further behind the rest of the world in terms of bandwidth available to the consumer, and the providers jsut got reamed about it IIRC. I wouldnt be suprised at all if there was a bit of a gain.

I am giving Comcast until the end of the month of March to figure out and fix my dropping connection issue. If it isnt fixed, I am going to DSL, FIOS or satellite instead. Connections dropping out once an hour with nothing but IRC and EvE going is starting to annoy me.

92961593.png

Crappy TWC, gets better speeds further away. Testing off my local gateway gets me much better speeds. The DC server gives me my best times on any 'wild' speed test. Though I take a hit on pings. Strange, but hey least it is not dialup.

They've got my ISP dead-on.

92979875.png

edit: My recommended server is always NY though, and my "person" on the map stands inbetween MD, DC, and NY. Currently testing from NC.

Last edited:
Back