• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD X2 5200+ Max 2.8Ghz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catacomb

Registered
Ok, Ive Tryed To Get This Thing Over 2.808Ghz With Water Cooling... But It Dosen't Post.

My Rig Is In My Sig. Please Advise.

PS: I'd Like To Get As Close To 3.4 As Possible.

Also, Do Y'all Have An IRC Channel?

Attachments

• My-CPU-Z.jpg
    My-CPU-Z.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 442
The AM2 Windsors are known to have a wall at about 2.8ghz. I cant get mine past 2.8 either. It posts but its unstable in the heat department getting into the 60+ C area under load. Sucks because I get like 22c at idle when my rooms ac is on. And I did all load tests with it on as well.

I Think Im Going To Step 1Mhz At A Time Till I Hit The Wall ;)
I'm Running Water Cooling. I Think Im Going To Replace My Rad Fans With 110CFM's. It Has 72CFM Fans ATM.

Well I Think Thr HTT Is On Auto...
As Soon As I Raised The FSB To 236, No Post...
Will Try The HTT To 3x....
BTW, What Will Be The Result? 3 x ? = ?

Damn It
235 * 12 @ 3x HTT @ 1.44v Windows Completely Booted
235 * 12 @ 4x HTT @ 1.44v Windows Locks Up @ User Selection
Current:
234 * 12 @ 4x HTT @ 1.44v Idle Temp 36c

Humm....... Ideas?

RAM on any divider or running 1:1 with CPU frequency? If it's at 1:1, try running it on the next-lowest divider, then try booting 235@4xHTT.

Also, HTT might not be the culprit. If you can boot at 235@3x, try running some stability tests. I'm willing to bet that you'll find instability even if you can boot at 235@3x. Could always be wrong, though.

I don't know how your M2N32 is setup, but the BIOS in my A8N-SLI is set up accordingly:

At the main screen, you have several tabs on the top. Next to MAIN, choose the ADVANCED tab. From there, the first option is CPU CONFIGURATION. From there, one of the options is DRAM SETTINGS. In there, you will find an option to set your RAM divider. Mine lists it as DDR400 (which happens to be the RAM I'm running_, DDR333, DDR266, DDR200, etc. Well, I'm running DDR400. However, if I try to run my memory at a 1:1 ratio with my CPU frequency (273) then I will be trying to run my memor much to fast. So, I use a RAM divider. I use the BIOS to slow down my RAM to DDR333. This is a 5:6 divider; that is, my memory is running at about 83% of the CPU frequency. This means that while my CPU is running at 11x273, my memory is running at about 220mhz. I've slowed it down to the point that it can run with the rest of my settings. Slowing down my RAM a bit allowed me to get a better overclock out of my CPU.

1- Drop the multi down to something very low, like 7
2- Bump the FSB up as much as it will go to find the maximum
3- Lower the HT accordingly to keep it under 1000
4- Lower FSB back to stock
5- Bump multi up to 9, repeat step two
6- Bump multi to 10, repeat step 4 then 2
7- Bump multi to 11, repeat step 4 then 2
8- Pick whatever multi will allow you to clock the highest, then tweak from there. The highest multi will not always give the best results.

While doing all of that, make sure your ram is running a bit below spec to rule anything out. That is the process I followed when I did my overclocking, and I did fairly well. 3.4 is being very optimistic on a Windsor, I'd aim for 3 and be very pleased if you manage to get 2.9.

Good luck, post back with some more results!

I Think I Have Hit The Wall With This Cpu. Maybe I'll Save Up Some Change And Get A 65nm Version. I Hear They Have More Head Room.

Ahh, don't give up so easily. Maybe you've hit a wall, maybe not. You'll never know until you try to eliminate every possible obstacle in your overclocking attempt. :beer:

Muhahaha... I Tool The Lower Ram (667) And Lower Multi (11x) And.......
PS: I Was Clocked @ 280*11 But Window Would Just Display The Loading Screen With The Blue Bar Moving... Maybe More Power?

Heres The Pic

Attachments

• 3Ghz!.JPG
    3Ghz!.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 376
Back