• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a RAIL. HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snstersquirrel

Registered
Maybe I missed the boat, or is it I am trying to read two things at once...

WTF is a RAIL...does EVERY cord coming from the power supply called a RAIL?? Does each cord coming down contain a 12v rail??

The 12v RAIL stuff if throwing me off...

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE TO HELP ME WALK THROUGH THAT WILL MAKE ME UNDERSTAND :bang head :bang head

I have a Antec True Blue 480...with a max 22A on the 12V. I recently purchased a 1950pro, might return it due to my CPU being old "Bottleneck", BUT...people have suggested that I at least have a 30 AMPS on a single 12v rail to push it, or TWO 22 amps on a 12V rails.

WTF.....WHATS A RAIL!!!

I have two different 4-pin connectors going to it....(The Sapphire Card Does This) and they are different separate cords. Does this mean these are two different rails? Or sames? WHAT IN THE WORLD!! :cry:

I am reading more and more...but SOMEBODY PLEASE explain this to me...I AM A NOOB in this section.

Okay....

Before you post...maybe I am onto something.....

A Rail is a single cord...that has a yellow wire=12V....So in a bundle of like 3 4-pin connectors, they are only working on a 12v rail...YES NO??

Dual 12V....just has two components pushing the 12V though the lines??

Are these assumptions correct?

Here is an example of a power supply with 2 12V rails. If you look at the specifications there is a +12V1@18A and a +12V2@18A. That would mean both of the two rails are rated at 18A. If the specifications on your power supply listed only +12V@22A then you would only have a single 12V rail. By the way this information will always be listed on that sticker located directly on the PSU. So this would be an example of a power supply with a single 12V rail and this one has 4 12V rails.

the 'rails' dont really have anything to do with the number of wires coming out of your PSU.. the 'rails' are really internal

wnnbgwrrr said:
Here is an example of a power supply with 2 12V rails. If you look at the specifications there is a +12V1@18A and a +12V2@18A. That would mean both of the two rails are rated at 18A. If the specifications on your power supply listed only +12V@22A then you would only have a single 12V rail. By the way this information will always be listed on that sticker located directly on the PSU. So this would be an example of a power supply with a single 12V rail and this one has 4 12V rails.

But then again with some word manipulation and stretching technical interpretation, these are essentially single 12v rails power supplies:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28

and this one:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=30

According to the tests done here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/reviews.php

Both are First Class power supplies.

So the solution for the laymen (that's me) that aren't technically up to date on power supplies, their electronics along with their build characteristics is to throw out the gobbledy-gook the manufacturers throw at us, list your system, your use intentions, and ask the experts here for suggestions. That's what most of us here have done with excellent results and almost complete satisfaction with our new power supply purchase. :thup: :D

So I got done with my test today, and now I understand a lot more...thanks for the info though!

It seemed really confusing at first...but now its pretty easy...

Seems like the new standard is 2 maybe 3 12v rails for powerhungry video+CPU's

Back