• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a sempron 3400+ !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys,

I called up AMD today to check on RMA for my Sempron2800+ and they told me that I would be receiving a 3400+ !

I am VERY happy now! The reason being, is because the 3400+ has cool n quiet, so on my K8N I can adjust voltages ! Yeh baby!

Should be here tomorrow, I got a tracking number from them.

Cant wait!

s754 unfortunately. But this is my backup rig...so more power for free :)
I'm very sure with a nice voltage boost to 1.6/1.7v it will get close to 3GHz unless they send me a pre-E6 revision. I doubt they will though.

I wonder how high my K8N's FSB will go....It has a maximum of 300FSB in the BIOS.
So with the 10x multiplier, I should be fine....Unless it can go over 300 ;) with clockgen.

No Cool N Quiet is on the sempron's is on 3000+ and above. That's why when I received my 2800+ and popped it into my K8N I was a little pee'd off because the motherboard doesn't let you change voltages with a CPU without C&Q...which the 3000+ and up does have.

Onto upgrades...I think I have decided on how my future will be:

In the next month I will do the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136012
DFI C51G-ML // PCI-E s754, Micro-ATX (I love micro-atx, I won't get anything else now :D )

Then proceed to buy an used 7800GT or 7900GS.

That upgrade will put me onto the PCI-E platform and I will see a big performance boost from my 6600GT !

I am weary of going C2D as I have hopes that AMD will have a "counter reformation" themselves and come out with something similar to C2D.

But my first move is to get out of AGP and DDR, so this is a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Weird, when selecting just micro-atx as the form factor, like 5 more boards popped up !!

How could I miss this !!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268
Oh baby....

Last edited:
Sempis are fun to play with and do some amazing OCs at stock.
Brisbanes are also cool and nice ocs to the 2.8-3.0 range (I'm still playing with one).
Barcelona and the Stars CPUs are going to be worth the wait!

cpufull.jpg

3400stock.jpg

Sweet :) Booted up second try (had to clear CMOS it seems)

I'm gonna run 3dmark2001 and see what I get....then its clockin' time :D

Can't wait til I get drop my 7900GS into this baby

Hmmmm...
It doesn't seem to want to overclock at all. It errors out of prime95 instantly at 2.35GHz (235FSB) with 1.5v

I have a feeling this is my motherboard as this chip is the E6 revision made in June of 2006 and there is no way it would take 1.5v to hit 2.35GHz :-/
My previous Sempron64 2800+ hit 2.4GHz with no voltage increases at all! (8x300FSB)

It seems just too terrible of an OC to be true...Unless they sent me a real bin chip :( It was new in the box though..

I will be getting my Tforce and 7900GS on Wednesday...so hopefully it should clear up the problem.

Tomorrow I will do some more tests....I should probably run prime95 at stock and see what happens.
Edit: Ehh I'll run it now and leave it overnight.

Well it failed at stock after 5 hours.

I just booted it 7x250 and it runs fine, so it can't be the motherboard...

Argh....I don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks to RMA it back. Sigh...
Maybe they can send me the processor first, then I send mine back....maybe? I know Kingston does that...I just have to give a CC #

you know sending a new processor back just because it doesnt overclock well is immoral, but also its a higher rated stock speed than your old one, so its just down right cheeky, i'd just be happy that you got a 3400+ back from a 2800+

Serlant said:
you know sending a new processor back just because it doesnt overclock well is immoral, but also its a higher rated stock speed than your old one, so its just down right cheeky, i'd just be happy that you got a 3400+ back from a 2800+

Yeah, but he said it failed after 5 hours at stock.

I wouldn't be complaining if it was stable at stock, but the fact is it is not.

traderonline said:
you could have gone for an athlon64 (754)

This is just a guess, really, but as far as I can imagine the lower cache of the sempron should make it clock higher, while less cache doesn't mean a big hit in performance on K8 ...
On the other side Semprons are mostly defect athlons, meaning there is a great chance it's material is lower quality than the athlon counterparts.

But I have to admit that I really play with the thought of getting a X2 Sempron once they are out..

Rinne said:
This is just a guess, really, but as far as I can imagine the lower cache of the sempron should make it clock higher, while less cache doesn't mean a big hit in performance on K8 ...
On the other side Semprons are mostly defect athlons, meaning there is a great chance it's material is lower quality than the athlon counterparts.

But I have to admit that I really play with the thought of getting a X2 Sempron once they are out..

It seems stable at 1.9GHz, but thats just stupid...I emailed AMD and asked if they could send me the processor first so I don't have to wait again. They will probably not allow that though.

Push for an advanced RMA ps2cho, if in the end they don't allow it, I guess you gotta wait, it's better than nothing to be honest. I've been stuck with a POS rig for the past 6 months (Athlon XP) coming from a Dual Core setup and Monday next week the parts for my new rig arrive (PSU, RAM & HSF) and it's killing me...so I feel the burn bro, hang in there!

Well, just under stock running at 1.9GHz, it seems to run BF2 a lot smoother than My D805 at 3.1GHz....not exactly sure why because the 3dmark scores are about even.

It's just AMD's architecture VS Intels netburst I guess.

I sent my processor via priority mail the first time as I wanted it to be the fastest time possible, but it cost me a little more....as AMD's center is like 40 miles away from me in Fresno, CA ....I wanted it to get to them the day after I sent it and it did. But they sent it back to me via standard snail mail...which also included a weekend...so it took forever...

I'll give them a call tomorrow and try to get them to process an advanced RMA as you said.

One question, should I mention that it is stable below stock? or would that be counted as "overclocking"? The fact is that it is not stable at stock like it should be, but I thought maybe I should mention that to them, or do you think it would be a bad plan?

I think I am going to opt out of RMA'ing it again.

It will cost me another $6 to mail it to them and be without a CPU for another 2 weeks.

I'll just clock it and volt it real high then get a s754 Venice in a month or two seeing as its like $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103035

What is the safest voltage to go to on air?
I will be putting my Si-97 onto the CPU tomorrow and lets see how much volts it needs to be stable at stock!

And anyways, I will be getting my 7900GS and s754 Biostar Tforce on Wednesday.

Back