• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Overclocker

i have just upgraded two compac computers that will be on the same network swapping the hard disks over and replacing the smallest witha 60GB one, now because i didn't chage cases with the serial codes with windows on they both have the same ones. damn, will this be a problem?

Whats the problem...I don't understand what u are saying

I'm not getting the question right too.

But if I understand you swapped HDD and they both have the same serial codes and how does that effect Windows in any way?

Try removing the HDD from the device manager then and see that it'll detect the HDD that is correct.

if u are talking about your win ser # stored in your reg not this will not make a dif networking or otherwise, you of course will need to change your computer name, which if left the same will cause you problems, depending if you are having them be part of the same domain/workgroup

Ah! like this serial code:
Its strictly speaking illegal.

i thought it was only illigal if you dont have the second serial code, buth of the serial codes are on the sides of the cases, i just want to know how to change the code in windows

if you are talking about the system info, no you cannot change that it is only the build info, if you are talking about the registered to info, yes it is easily changed? is that what you want cause im still not clear

The build version info just reports which version of the os is installed.

The registration serial number does matter although it will not affect operation (Win 9x, WinNT, Win2K---I know nothing about XP.)

You need to change the serial in one pc so that both are completely legit. You have 2 licensed versions, so just pick one and change it: you have to do a registry edit SO BE CAREFUL!

I don't know any way to change the serial besides regedit.

I doubt it will cause problems. I know of a whole college class (35PPL) who use just one serial on a copy of win 98 (don't try this at home kids)!

As long as you have two licences, then your covered by law.

I personally wouldn't worry about it!

Back