• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water block flow question and thread question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahbroody

Okay,
I am a noob and I admit this. Any way. Some may remember I am the one who posted the under 60.00 water kit thread.
Okay I was looking at all the waterbocks and trying to understand the flow issue and restrictions and I have a few questions.

this is the block that came with the kit.
P1010694.jpg
Now I know this isnt a good block but how bad is it?

Edit the barbs in the pic are the stock 1/4 barbs the new barbs are similar to these
http://www.svc.com/cl-w0047.html

Also I increased the kit from 1/4 to 3/8 using a dremel and some 3/8 tubing obtained for 5.00 :) and some old thermal take 3/8's fittings apparently CM and TT used the same thread size for their fittings. However my question now is based on the fittings I am using is this combined with the cheap block worse than the 1/4?
Also does anyone know what the thread diameter is I know its not standard as the apoge barbs wont thread in?

Right now depending on temps in house I idle between 36-39 and load can go as high as 48-49 in orthos. On an e6400 with clocked at 3.0 stock voltage.

Please no flame, I know its a cheap kit I am trying to play with it for FUN and to see how much I can squezze out of it before going to a serious setup.

Sorry if my questions dont make sense I am still trying to understand the finer points of WC.

Thanks
Ahbroody

Personally I prefer 1/2" tubing for more flow.

The first thing I see from that block is the water doesnt enter on the center where the heat is higher. Not a huge flaw but you get better cooling when the water enters in the center.

Second the fins inside are fairly close together, looks restrictive so you may need to get a medium to high pump to get good flow through there.

Most good blocks nowadays the water enters the middle and exits on one or both sides.

Thermaltake fittings come in G1/4 and G1/8 threading. G1/4 is 0.555" OD, G1/8 is 0.39" OD.
I didn't bother taking measurements on the fittings for that kit but from the photo you took they look like G 1/8 (BSPP 1/8). You might want to measure them yourself though.

Using larger tubing improves your flow rates and reduces restriction. The block itself is decent. Since you already improved the tubing size, the larger problems with the kit are the weak pump and the small radiator.

The Apogee barbs are NPSM 1/4, which has a different thread count. Likewise you cannot interchange tapered fittings for parallel one and vice-versa. If you want a reliable seal you have to use fittings that have the same thread.

Last edited:
Cool slug. It has a good fit right now no leaks I was just wondering if this particular barb which may be 1/4 into that block is messing up the flow.

I went into the case and removed all the quick connects and ran 3/8 tube all the way through the kit. I had to dremel the brace bracket cause the tt fittings were bigger than the 1/4 cm fittings so the openings had to be widened.

I guess I was wondering if I would see any real temperature drop by switching blocks to an apoge or if I would be better to switch pumps to increase the flow of the kit.

OOOO slug incase you were wondering they designed the kit so you dont have to have the factory pump hooked up to run it. I disconnected the pump and ran it for a few seconds to see if it would work like normal. So basically you can run the DD pumps or any other pump in there and it will still act normal. Just info incase you decide to change the pump. The reason this is cool is you can use a regular kit pump and the kit will still be able to control the pump because if it were to autokill the computer the pump would stop to.

Ahbroody

Back