• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU advice needed (not a newbie)..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PanteraGSTK

hey guys. I've been a member for a long time, but got out of the overclocking game for a few years (budget limited). I got a new e6300 cpu, some G.skill 6400 hz memory and a gigabyte s3. I was able to get to the specs in my sig on the s3 and my current board the p5n-e sli. I would like to see 4ghz, but feel a e6400 would have to be a VERY special e6400 for me to get there on the first cpu. It took me two to get to 3.5ghz with my current e6300. My question is whether or not I should spend the extra $100 for twice the cache and a 9x multiplier of a e6600 instead of 8x with the e6400. However, I've read that the e6600 won't be able to get as high of a fsb due to the cache size. What would you do in my shoes?

4ghz on air is a rare feat . You might try a xeon 3060 it might have a bit better chance getting 4 ghz . But if you really want 4ghz the only way for sure is to pony up the $ for a phase system .

I have the 6400 and kinda wish I had held off and saved my pennies to get the 6600 or better yet, the 3060. I've heard good things about them (lower vid, higher ocs, etc)

||Console|| said:
4ghz on air is a rare feat . You might try a xeon 3060 it might have a bit better chance getting 4 ghz . But if you really want 4ghz the only way for sure is to pony up the $ for a phase system .

Thats what I was thinking. I'm going to go the 3060 route or get one of the lower priced quads when they come out. I want a phase system, I'm not sure which brand to go with though.

Back