• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.55v Mod for 7900GT giving 1.585v actual? Should I be concerned?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Alright, I did the 1.55v mod for the 7900GT that is so popular. Measured it with a multimeter in 2D mode, and it was 1.57v.

Opening up anything in 3D mode makes the memory chips make a sizzling, whining noise. Was told a while back that this isn't something to be worried about (though it never happened before I did the mod, and even after taking the mod off, it continues to do it, so color me clueless). However, I figured I ought to test the voltage in 3D mode, too.

In 3D mode, the voltage goes up to 1.585v. Not a huge jump, but I didn't know if I ought to be concerned at all and if it would be wise to back off the voltage. I have ramsinks on all the ram chips with airflow from my radiator fans blowing back across them some.

The whining noise is just driving me a bit batty, frankly. With my earphones on, I can't hear it, but my wife can when she's at the computer next to me and doesn't particularly enjoy it, either.

I never like it when solid state electronics make an audible noise other than a barely heard hum.

Ya 1.58 with good cooling will not hurt it. These cards can do 1.7 to 1.8 with really good cooling.

Back