• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4400 X2 939 temperature issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corruption

I have a 4400 X2 939 chip (system in sig) and for the moment I'm running stock air cooling with stock settings. I had a watercooling loop in my rig, but until I get time to install my new BIP3 I have reverted to stock cooling and stock settings.

When overclocking my rig I hit a wall at approximately 2.4GHz. In order to get any higher I would have to pump just over 1.55v into the chip. This baffled and bothered me that I would have such an issue achieving over a 200MHz oc, but I figured that I got a bad overclocking chip and let it rest at that. I'm in the market for some new ram so that I can run 1:1 at up to 250HTT, but while I'm waiting for some more $ and time to install the watercooling gear I figured that I'd run orthos to test stability.

I've had some recent crashing in games that require a hard reboot. The sound loops nonstop or the system just hard locks and won't respond at all. My ram is stable overnight running memtest and my hard drives pass Maxtor and Western Digital sector tests. I believe that it's a driver conflict, but what is bothering me is this:

I find this to be a tad high for a stock CPU. I've tried reseating the heatsink 5 times now with no difference in temperatures. I have arctic silver 5 as a TIM, and have applied it correctly. (One "plop" about the size of a grain of rice in the center of the IHS.) I do not like it how there is over a 5C difference between the cores either. I have a feeling that my overclock may benefit from removing the IHS. I am not exactly "thrilled" by the idea of taking a razorblade anywhere near my chip if it most likely won't do anything to benefit it. I need help from the guru's of IHS removal and anyone's relavent input......should I attempt to remove the IHS, knowing that if I "fubar" my chip I most likely won't be able to get a replacement for it? Am I being unreasonable in thinking that my temperatures are a tad too high for a stock chip?

I thought that it was, but according to Core Temp it appears to be the 110W version. :shrug: Tomorrow I'll pull the heatsink off again and post the stepping info for confirmation.

well if it is 89w then its deff to hot. cant say what mine use to idle on stock cause i never used it but with a ultra-120 it was 23c/26c

Had to clean up the house so I wasn't able to get to the computer till this afternoon. Either way, here's the CPU info:

ADV4400DAA6CD
CCBWE 0612DPMW
1442707C60150

I reapplied thermal paste (arctic silver5) and the temps are still the same. I know that it takes a bit of time with cycling the CPU for the TIM to cure, but I know that the temps aren't going to drop significantly.

Any input to my problem is greatly appreciated.

I'd try lapping both the IHS and the heat sink before anything else. Either one (or both) might be machined so poorly that the chip is having trouble getting rid of the heat.

Like I said on the phone today , those are way to high for stock . Put your lil monster in the bed room and take the side off the case it is still as high ?

Another option is turn off wow and INSTALL YOUR FREAKING H20 again =)

or ship your chip to me I will take the IHS off and if I borke it I will send you mine ( I can also try your chip in my ultra D vs that MSI crap board your useing )

Here's the stepping list I compiled (very short) from some of the guys here @ OCF. squads experience with that same stepping looks pretty bad...

...well, his was CCBWE 0612CPMW. But still the same production week.

Back