• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i use a SATA 3.0Gbps HD on a 1.5Gbps Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mista ting

Im on a DFI NF3 250GB Motherboard and i wanted to buy 2 * 250GB WD SATA 3.0Gbps hard drives but my motherboard says it only "Supports four SATA interfaces with speed up to 1.5Gbps" can it still work? like the hard drives will run at half speed?

this is my mobo spec

Serial ATA with RAID
* Supports four SATA interfaces with speed up to 1.5Gbps
o Two Serial ATA ports supported by nForce3 250Gbchip
o Two Serial ATA ports supported by Marvell SATA PHY
* NVIDIA RAID supports spanning across Serial ATA and Parallel ATA
* RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1 and JBOD

should run at the 1.5 speed, some drives use software to regulate it though, I had some hitachi drives that if set by the featuretool to 3gps they wouldn't be seen by a 1.5 controller, I'm not sure on the wd though(most if new will come at the 1.5 speed if it's controlled by a utility)

The SATA bus will be running at full speed for your controller wich is half speed for the highest standard the HD supports, but shouldn't effect the speed of the drive at all its STR will be far slower then either standard.

The drive itself won't run at half speed, it'll run at full speed, just the interface. SATA3.0 is nothing but an interface speed and no drive can get close to sustaining it. Only data that happens to be sitting in the buffer can be moved that quickly, which is a very small amount and will have negligable impact on performance.

As everyone else is saying, it should work perfectly. I only buy WD drives (Fanboyism?) and i've had a couple 3.0gps drives plugged into 1.5sata slots, they seemed to work perfectly fine.

no need to worry, go ahead and buy them.

Back