• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chugging X2 performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I've noticed for almost 8 or 9 months now that whenever I multitask, such as burning a CD or copying a file to my server, listening to music and browsing the web, I get an occasional studdering of my music like it's freezing, but it's only for a split second and it's fine again. It almost sounds like the CPU is throttling up to enable the full performance of the system, and it has a slight slowdown while it's doing so.

Is this because of my drivers of a setting that I've missed somewhere?

I hear a lot about cool n' quiet but I don't see any such setting for it in my BIOS, nor have I installed any software that uses it. Where can I find this?

It should be in the BIOS for the A8N-SLI but I can't tell you exactly where - you might want to do a search. ASUS calls it "Cool 'N Quiet" on my board and it's often abbreviated CnQ ...

Ya, it might not be in the CPU section. Like for mine, I think its in the power section. Also, keep the task manager open if windows to see if its any random software thats spiking in cpu usage.

I found the CnQ setting in my BIOS and it's disabled. I couldn't find it when I got the board, but I updated the BIOS about 7 months ago and never looked around to see the new features in the new BIOS. It is disabled though.

The dual core drivers and the microsoft hotfix were some of the first pieces of software to be loaded into windows after my system reload.

make sure you dont have some sort of weird software that pegs ur cpu for a bit, if it happens fairly alot,you can keep task manager open and see if a process is taking up ur cpu time.

Make sure your "plug and play OS" is set to no, this board has major geek outs and IRQ conflicts if you don't make the board assign the IRQs itself. Its pretty rare to get a stutter from lack of performance, especially with newer hardware, but IRQ conflicts and the like can make it happen quite easily. I was screwing around the other day to test the stability of my cdrw burning a disk with AIM, itunes and firefox all open at once, didn't get any stuttering. About the only time my rig will stutter is if i load a game and it initializes directsound or the like it clicks for just an instant and keeps going. You might also want to check and see if the resources used by the sound are shared with something else and see if you can seperate them somehow.

how is your hard drive look ?? do you do disc clean ups and defragmentations Regally?

when you burn or encode things it uses alot of hard drive usage and may slow down the computer from getting files needed for listing to music and loading webpages.

before i had a raid set up i would not be able to compress a dvd movie and do other things with out getting some slow down.

i never got music stuttering though ? so im not sure why you are getting that unless your REALLY pushing your multi tasking.

I first thought it was the HD so i defragged it and cleaned out everything not used and leftover folders from uninstalled apps. Didn't make any difference.

I'll try the plug & play thing.

I had this issue a while back when I only had 1gig of RAM and I was multitasking. Upping the priority of iTunes using task manager fixed the problem 100%. Might be worth giving it a try.

I didn't know I could change any settings in nTune. All I've ever used it for is checking temps in the nMonitor. I just uninstalled it, we'll see what happens.

what program are you using to listen to music??

maybe thats the problem??

do you get slow down when you play games or do other things other than encoding stuff??

if not its either something hogging up the cpu while encoding or listing to music.

matter of fact i didn't realize this till really thinking about it ( its 4 am im tired) i just got done encoding a wma to a dvd image file using dvd santa. i had everything else closed (Usually dont) and just with that program running it maxes out both cores.

when i was encoding the video i was on firefox with 5 tabs open one of the tabs was on my myspace page with a flash music player playing music and the others were just on ebay and other sites and i had NO slow down in music play ( even on a online flash player) which is really good while do that at the same time dvd santa was useing 100% of my cpu.

more than likely its the programs that your using. or you have a virus or trojan that you dont know about.

I use Foobar2000 to listen to music, but it's not just the music that will chug, it's the entire system that halts. Kind of like the old issue with Half-Life 2 when it came out, but it doesn't freeze for that long.

hmm

idk what to say. it could be many things but what i said above is what is most likely the problem

i wish i could help. only other thing i could say is that maybe your power supply is hitting the crapper and is not putting out the same amount of power as it did 9 months ago.

with three hdd's, sli set up and cpu may be to hard for the psu. i would not think that it would though for a 600watt psu but like i said it could be putting out less power. and when your multitasking and your draining more power out of components that may by why its slowing down.

I've checked the PSU with a multimeter and it's stable. It's been doing this since I built the system. I upgraded the CPU, PSU, one HD, and the video cards in the same time period and followed up with a reload.

Back