• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer controlled pump timer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

In my science research class, my group is building a flood & drain hydroponics system. We got everything working except for a timer to control the pump. Specifically, we needed to turn the pump on for 3 minutes every 45 minutes to an hour. Sadly, a lamp timer is not precise enough and no other interval timers that were made available to use met our needs, so the task of creating a working timer was handed to me. Originally, I had two ideas:

a) remove the second & hour hands from a large analog clock, glue a small magnet on the minute hand, then add magnet reed switches at the times we wanted the pump to turn on and off. The pump switched on & off using a relay, and a simple logic circuit would be built to handle the input from the reed switches.

b) modify one of the existing electro-mechanical lamp timers to run faster & therefore more precisely. I tried this and while I successfully changed the timer's intervals from 1 hour to 2 minutes (30x faster), I also succeeded in reducing the available torque to such a point the timer no longer had enough power to turn the switch. Obviously, this was a failure.

After the timer failure, I decided on a third a idea, a relay controlled via a computer's parallel port. As with most of us, I had an older machine readily available for use in our project. Ironically, I didn't have an analog clock available, so this plan became the cheapest idea after plan b. My build process is documented below.

Since a parallel port is sensitive and unable to supply much current, a transistor is used as a buffer to switch a small reed relay. The circuit I used for this was shamelessly taken from here. If you're wondering, the circuit was prototyped on an awesome development board dating back to the days of Apple ][. My school was just going to throw it out, so I grabbed it :)
protoboard.jpg

Here's a shot of my aging laptop + the protoboard. Originally, I was going to write my own control program in BASIC, but it turns out a program called Relais Timer already does what I needed.
laptop-1.jpg

After I determined that the project was indeed feasible, I drove out to my friendly neighborhood Radio Shack and bought the components. Included is a 12v relay, 5v reed relay, D-sub connector, D-sub housing, various silicon diodes (1N400x), various resistors (1k + one that depends on your power source & relay), various NPN transistors, and a prototype board. Not pictured are a 10:1 transformer ripped from a stereo, a diode bridge I found, and a random 25v 3300uF capacitor for the power supply section.
parts.jpg

On the protoboard:
front-assembly.jpg

The back & being tested:
back-testing.jpg

D-sub:
D-sub.jpg

I wasn't willing to pay Radio Shack an insane amount of money for an enclosure, so I turned to Lowes instead. I found this lovely toolbox on clearance for $3.98. I also picked up an outlet and a faceplate. The faceplate is made out of a material that I don't recommend cutting with a dremel. My eyes & nose were burning from the dust...
toolbox.jpg

Inside the toolbox, you can see the transformer, outlet, and circuit I built. It's very simple.
inside.jpg

Here is the donor computer with a test lamp clamped to it. Don't worry, I'll put the case back together before it it is brought to school.
off.jpg

Nice rig.....but, you could do the same job with a 556 dual timer, a relay, and a few caps and resistors. This would save a lot on electricity and wouldn't have to depend on the unreliability of an old computer.

You might also be able to do it with a 555 timer set to the astable oscillator mode, but it would require a large capacitor with low leakage.

If you go here:http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#3 you will find the circuits and calculators for the components.

Last edited:
I considered that, but I have never used a 555 timer plus if I want to change the timing, it takes a bit more effort. hmm, I might still try it though. The computer's at my school anyway, so it's not like I'm paying the electric bill (directly at least).

Cyrix_2k said:
I considered that, but I have never used a 555 timer plus if I want to change the timing, it takes a bit more effort. hmm, I might still try it though. The computer's at my school anyway, so it's not like I'm paying the electric bill (directly at least).

If you use precision multiturn variable resistors as the timing resisitors, changing the timing is as easy as turning a screwdriver.

Back