• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a few Q's on lappies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

My wife wants a laptop soon. I have a few questions as I have never had any experience with one. I have decided we will probably get a Dell unless the answers to my Q's direct me in another direction. So here are the Q's.

1: Can you OC a laptop?
2: Can you upgrade a lappie later on?
3: Can you mod the case?
4: How to tell whar mobo is inside?
5: Well I uess I only have 4 Q's for now.

Thanks in advance -Jim

1. It depends on the laptop really it does... older gen laptops that ran on a 533mhz pentium-m were pinmoddable if you used a 400mhz processor (see link in my sig) for nice 33% overclocks. other laptops is pretty much hit and miss (with more misses than hits lately) It comes down to weather or not your pll chip is supported by software overclocking programs.

2. generally the rule of thumb is if the component is offered with the laptop when you buy it then the laptop can be updated with that component at a later date (there are exceptions but this is generally the case). one exception to this rule is if you get integrated graphics instead of a dedicated graphics card they sometimes have a different motherboard specifically for integrated graphics that does not have a pci express slot for future graphics updates. So as long as you don't get the top of the line stuff your laptop will be upgradeable later on down the road... (especially the ram, HD and most of the time the processor too)...

3. SEE LINK IN MY SIG...

4. You can use CPU-Z to tell what type of mobo you have

Laptops are like computers (just with a battery and screen built into 1 unit) you can mod them just like you can mod a normal pc... dell is a fine choice.

Last edited:
Back