• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x agp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t12121

I have a 4400ti pny nvidia graphics card. I was thinking of upgrading my card. What should the limit for a 4x agp slot? I mean what is the fastest/best upgrade for a legacy system? Thanks for any advise!!!:beer:

This has been asked many times.
The best cards out for AGP today are 7800GS and X1950PRO. The latter of which performs slightly better (But more expensive).
The fact you're using a 4x slot shouldn't slow you down noticeably over using a 8x slot. But you're gonna get "bottlenecked" by your CPU and RAM combination.

With the rig in your sig, you'd be best off with a 6600GT, 6800GT, x800, x850 - something along those lines. Not to cheap, not to expensive and runs games great.

Thanks ziggo0 for the response I will look into maybe getting a 6000 series card. Heres the next dumb question will a better card help with video performance in the Hi def area? Thanks again!!!

I'm still an AGP guy too, i'm using a 6800GT and it works well, it can play alot of recent games with decent graphics. I can play oblivion fine, HL2 at max graphics is no problem. I'm using it on a 1050x1680 monitor and it really stresses it compared to the old 1280x1024 i was using. If you're thinking HDTV i think the only cards that can do that are the 7000 series cards and up. my card only does s-video out for TVs.

well the reason its become a issue is that I got a new lcd monitor and my current graphics card is running it good but I am pushing the limits for it. My problem is that I would have to replace the power supply (to low on watts for a 6600/6800) also so I figure by the time I do that I could get another computer for a few more dollars. But thanks for the comment Nebuchadnazzar!!

Back