• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hate XP, But Lesser of 2 evils

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hainer36

I cant stand XP (only because of this problem, nothing else has made me dislike it in the past), and i dont want to go to vista, as i played around with it, and dont like it 1 bit.

So heres my problem. I got a new Seagate 320GB Sata2 perp HDD, and had it installed for a lil bit and have decided to switch over to it from my 200GB Maxtor IDE. Go to install windows, and gets up to right before it asks the user agreement (blue screen, alot of writing, hit F8) and then i get a BSOD. Error says check to see if HDD's were properly installed, HDD controllers installed, Viruses, and then CHKDSK.

So i go back boot up from my maxtor and re-format the Seagate, CHKDSK, scan HDD for spyware and viruses, nothing as i expected. so I go back to install windows again...same F***in error! Now i try moving the drive to any of the 6 Sata connectors on the board. Still same problem.

Anyone help me on this? Im just about ready to go to MAC'S.....ok, its not that bad :p

When it is loading are you using the F6? I know you have to do that to install the Raid drivers. Make sure you have them handy on a floppy disk. I had the same problems when I was doing an install for a friend on his X64 system. It refused to read them from the CD.

DAMMIT, i knew it was something simple. Since i have no floppy drive, can i use my USB drive?

im assuming not as i still have the problem

DAMMIT, need to find a floppy now

Last edited:
You only need it temporarily. Just open the case and let it hang out the side. Remove it when you are done. I always install a floppy disk anyway for bios updates and such.

Hey so since the problem was technically not windows fault, dose that mean you like XP now?

Oh and its SATA drivers your after, not raid ones as you don't seem to have raid. (usually the same driver though)

The other alternative is that some mobos (like mine) support SATA as IDE with a bios switch. It slows them down, but the system thinks its a PATA drive and windows installs no probs. Once done you just install the SATA driver and reboot, switch the drives back to SATA from IDE and boot up again. all done.

Make sure the computer is OFF when you add or remove the floppy drive.

I plugged in the power source to my floppy drive when i was doing something similar and fried the floppy and the cable because the computer was on. Obviously this is stupid, but the same thing can happen when you remove it when it's on too. I got lucky and only broke the drive and not anything else, but be careful. Sometimes the most simple things can be overlooked. (hot swapping a floppy drive can be on your mind because you were just doing it with USB and it's hanging out of the computer, good game right!!!)

alright, well got a floppy drive (actually 2, the first didnt work) and put the Sata drivers on it, and go to load windows, and i got the exact same dam screen. BSOD- check to see if HDD's were properly installed, HDD controllers installed, Viruses, and then CHKDSK

and this is really ****in me off here. anyone got any ideas? maybe a bad HDD, or what?

If you get the same error it makes me think it's either the motherboard or the cabling to the hard drive. If you have a different cable you can use to connect the hard drive and the motherboard, then that's a good thing you can try. Also, you can try updating the bios of your motherboard, sometimes they update problems just like the ones you are facing. You can read the update notes within each bios update from the version you're using. Check the manufacture's website of the motherboard that you're using.

You may have to look inside the SATA or Raid folder for a certain file. I know I had to do that in my one experience with this. I had to write down or memorize the file name that it looks for when I was transferring the folder to the floppy disk, and transfer that folder. Check those folders and subfolders for the file that Windows is looking for and try that. I had to try a couple of times to get the right one. Also vixro may be right. You may have a bios problem, and flashing it to a newer version may be the solution to your problem. Also before you go flashing away, make sure to check those cables. If I don't see any kind of driver problem, usually the cable is my first suspect.

Do you have an XP SP2 install CD-ROM?! Cuz only SP2 can handle bare 320GB disks. Otherwise you need to slipstream SP2 onto your gold or SP1 installdisk, or use 3rd party software like acronis to move your installation from the 200GB onto the 320GB drive...

You are making sure you are hitting F6 when it asks? You then hit "S" to specifiy the drivers you want installed, you then select the driver and hit enter. It loads then comes back to the screen and you hit Enter?

If this is what you are doing you probobly need a bios update so your computer recognizes the 320GB drive.

It is not Windows XP that is not allowing you to recognize your hardware, its your hardware. ;)

Ya if you get SP2 slipstreamed its possible that you won't have to do any monkey work with a floppy drive. All drives I've had with SATA, if it has SP2 your usually good since it has the driver already loaded within the installing OS. Raid thats a different story though.

Did the F6 and S then enter after choosing the correct driver

and i have SP1 disk, so ima have to slipstream SP2 onto it i guess, and try that now

ERRRRRRRRRRRR

Got SP2, tested yet another cable, tested with and without using the floppy with the Sata drivers, and tested on the ICH7R (something like that :p) and the other sata ports (non-intel) still nothing!

Im on the latest bios 0709 (i think), and am just about ready to throw the dam seagate out the window!

help! (again)

well just flashed to 0802 bios, theres only 3 bios' that work with the 930 chip and all 3 get the same thing.

tried different cables (ones that came with board) and still nothing is working

anyone have any idea or should i just take the HDD back to where i got it and exchange for a new one (1yr warranty in store, and i got it in Nov.)

hainer36 said:
and i have SP1 disk, so ima have to slipstream SP2 onto it i guess, and try that now
I would discourage slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 into the Windows XP installation files. Post #9 by Lancelot contains great misrepresentations. Windows XP (also Windows 2000) installation files must be patched to support 48-bit logical block addressing during Windows installation. A hotfix exists that will patch the installation; the hotfix update is also included with Windows XP Service Pack 1 (also Windows 2000 Service Pack 3).

Also, what is the language displayed when the Blue Screen of Death occurs?

thread resurrection!

i got vista to load somehow, but yet XP will not load, still the same BSOD (in english)

tried a friends copy of SP2 disk, and same thing. so i dont know, maybe Asus, intel and M$ are joining forces to make me use an OS i hate...dam vista

anyone have any idea whats going on here?

and i also talked to seagate about the HDD, they want me to RMA it, i asked them if i could just take it back to the store (the store says theres nothing wrong with it, but if it causes 2 separate computers to crash, theres something wrong!), they told me to RMA it, not take it back to the store where i have a year replacement, but to RMA it. they want me to pay to send it to them, instead of drive less kms to a store than the PO

hainer36 said:
and i also talked to seagate about the HDD, they want me to RMA it, i asked them if i could just take it back to the store (the store says theres nothing wrong with it, but if it causes 2 separate computers to crash, theres something wrong!), they told me to RMA it, not take it back to the store where i have a year replacement, but to RMA it. they want me to pay to send it to them, instead of drive less kms to a store than the PO

You can always "make" something wrong with it to return it to the store, and get it exchanged. Got a television? Is the PCB on the drive exposed?

Well if you got a warrenty I'd think you could get it exchanged at the store without any problems. What a pain. Of course if you ship it to the company they will require you to pay shipping one way, its typical with any RMA process for any place you can't deliver to.

Back