• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Searing

I am guessing this isn't where this goes but after some searching I can't find where it would belong.

I am just starting to mess with things, and in my bios I see a LDT bus frequency setting. It is default at Automatic, but it has the option to be changed to 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000. I have searched the internet and found nothing helpful to me.

The board is an MSI MS-7145, with a 3200 amd64, it has a 512 3200 stick, and a 256 2700 stick(yes yes, I know its on its way out, just have to get my new stick in).

So would changing this make my computer faster...I do have a good case with tons of airflow. I can run prime95 and none of my temps increase more than 5 degrees.

I don't have a clue what LDT does but I did find a short statement about it on another forum.

"Does your BIOS have an "LDT and PCI Bus Control"? The manual shows this setting. If so, what are the settings as the manual does not show them. There is an LDT Bus Frequency setting and this setting should never be above the multiple of the HT Data stream Multiplied by the LDT Bus Frequency = 1000 For example, an HT of 250MHz X a LDT Bus Frequency of 300 is lower than 1000 and fine but is not good at 400 as 400 X 250 > than 1000."

That's all a search on Google gave me so take it with a grain of salt.
My rule of thumb is if I don't know what it does I leave it alone.

LDT is the same as HT bus - some call it simply HT. In any event the default speed of your LDT @ 200 MHz FSB is 1000 (5x). If you raise your FSB above 200 but stay below 250 MHz you should change your LDT to 800 (4x). If you're going above 250 MHz it needs to be set at 600 (3x). That way you always stay below 1000. There's no performance gain by going over 1000.

Oops: I assumed a socket 939 - sorry ... *redface*

Last edited:
The socket 754 supports 800(1600). Try and not exceede that. Even though your board will go over the 800(1600) it will not get you much if anything. Except unstable operation.

Until you get a stick to replace the PC2700 just keep it @ 800. Since it is running PC2700 speeds. DDR will run at the lowest sticks speeds to keep everything happy. Your not going to get much of an overclock just yet. When you do get a new stick that is at least PC3200.

Then keep in mind the math behind the LDT. You can go over a little bit, but it serves no gains and can make your machine unstable. Going under does not make much of a difference.

2x400=800 (crazy high but simple)
3x250=750
4x200=800

Back