• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any real difference in x2 4800+ and x2 6000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1hawaii50

I am currently running a S939 X2 4800+ at 2.65Ghz, and was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade to go to an AM2 X2 6000+. It is really tempting me!

I agree just oc that sucka. It looks like you can get more out of that set up. They have some awesome stickies. I used the guides and have my fx 60 at 3.0. It really helped. I took me a full day and a half but it's worth it.

The only problem is that I seem to have hit a wall at 2.8Ghz. I think part of it is the motherboard. I don't like the overvolting option on the Asus board. My DFI was much easier to set up. On the Asus board, you can only set the voltage so high, then you have to start adding percentages.

I can't see any point in that upgrade, you'll probably see little or no difference.

Stick with the X2 4800+ and keep trying to clock it higher, if you think it's the motherboard holding you back, then buy a 939 DFI. Ultra-Ds go for $50 in the Classifieds (you need 101 posts to access it).

smokie mcpott said:
as far as i know, they dont make the x2 6000 in a socket 939
You would be correct, that's why my original post asks if it would be worth it to upgrade to an AM2 X2 6000+

1hawaii50 said:
The only problem is that I seem to have hit a wall at 2.8Ghz. I think part of it is the motherboard. I don't like the overvolting option on the Asus board. My DFI was much easier to set up. On the Asus board, you can only set the voltage so high, then you have to start adding percentages.
:confused:
I'm not sure what you're using but my A8N32 doesn't have %s of any kind. Just set the "Over-voltage CPU" (upper middle of page) to [Enable] and set the VID (bottom of page) 0.200v lower than you want. For example, my 2.8 GHz setting takes 1.53v so I [Enable] Over-volt CPU and set the VID to 1.3375v. For more info on this and other A8N32 issues see:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468038

Sorry, didn't mean to say percentages. Whenever I enable overvolting, my computer doesn't want to post. I am currently running at 2.65Ghz at 1.392 volts. I hit the wall at 2.79-2.8 and upping the voltage/enabling overvolting didn't seem to help any. If I enabled overvolting and set voltag to 1.2 (1.4 total) then system wouldn't boot. If I disabled overvolting and set voltage to 1.4 then system is fine? No clue?!

depends on your temps, most would say 1.55 but if you're temps are fine at 1.55 you can push it further if you wish, but you could also have horrible temps at 1.5v and cant push any further, best way to find out is to see how hot it gets, i just left the cpu at stock speeds and upped the cpu voltage to see what my temps were like at those voltages.

CPU-Z or Probe II are giving you those vCore readings? - too strange. Immortal_Hero also has problems w/his overvolt, I wonder what the deal is?

You can push the voltage as far as you want as long as the temps are OK. Since those are dependent on your ambient temps and your heatsink it's hard to say how far you can go on air. I run water on almost evrything so I'm not the best person to ask about that. Just remember (typically) the hotter your CPU the lower your OC ...

Last edited:
I'm getting my readings from PC Probe II. Also, I've got the Thermaltake Big Typhoon w/Antec Tri-Cool running on high. Also just bought Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evo and am currently running 4 120mm fans. Two on side panel (intake), one in front (intake), one on top (exhaust), and one in back (exhaust). So hopefully now that cooling won't be an issue, I'll try again.

1hawaii50 said:
Thats the cpu. Most toledo cores hit a wall between 2.6-2.8ghz.

It's a bit out of the way in the General Hardware section. Most people don't think to look there because they've got something specific in mind.

To answer your original question, no there would not be a huge increase, certainly not compared to the price you would have to pay. If you want a significant performance increase either get a C2D or wait until K10 chips come out.

Also wtg to Otter for that link, that thread is the best explanation of overvoltage I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Back