• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6400 @ 3.6 Stable on Stock Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atomic ferret

Is this normal? This is my first C2D experience and from what I've heard, they clock high. However, this seems a little odd seeing that it is so high on the stock Intel HSF. Orthos ran for 12 hours and PCmark and 3Dmark all ran smoothly several times over.

If someone could recommend an after-market HSF to stick on this chip, it would be much appreciated. I've heard good things about the Zalman 9700 and the Freezer 7 Pro. I'd like the keep the sound level to a minimum, and I doubt I need a loud HSF anyway with this high-clocking CPU.

Thanks in advance.

i have been having good luck with the tuniq tower 120. If you wanted to wait a bit you can get the new new Thermalright Ultra 120+ which is quite an improvement over even the tuniq. The bigger and better performing hs you get the quieter the fan you can get to go with it and still cool properly. Good luck!

the thermalright ultra 120+ sounds interesting.. do u have a site or pic of it ? lol i did a search on google and it only turned up with an ultra 120.

Did you left the Vcore on auto? otherwise, thats not on stock because it will automatically adjust higher voltages.

It is running at about 70 C when running games or 3Dmark. I know it's a little hot, but it hasn't randomly rebooted in days of running. I want another cooler so that I won't damage the CPU from running it so hot constantly.

I have heard good things about Thermalrights. I might just wait for the 120.

atomic ferret said:
I have heard good things about Thermalrights. I might just wait for the 120.

Wrong, wait for Ultra 120 Plus instead of plain 120 :) , check Cooling section.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Is this normal for an E6400 to clock this high. One of my friends has had 3 different ones and the highest he's reached is 3GHZ on a Freezer 7 Pro.

what Mobo are you using. Mine won't boot with anything above 375x8. I almost don't believe this. Is that stock voltage to? how bout a couple screen shots of your benchmarks...

That is a very nice chip and no, that is not normal. Could you download CoreTemp and post a screen shot? If it can do 3.6 stable on the stock air I would speculate close to 4ghz with a Tuniq Tower or Ultra 120 Plus.

bail_w said:
Did you left the Vcore on auto? otherwise, thats not on stock because it will automatically adjust higher voltages.

^Agreed, I have a feeling that's going on. But regardless it's a nice CPU, those temps with a stock Intel cooler...you got very lucky :) FYI CPU-Z does not accurately show CPU vcore outside a certain range. Check BIOS or the motherboard's included monitoring utility.

I think my Week 37 E6400 could get about those temps on stock air. I think it's just a question of having one of the random CPUs with a low vcore. Mine is 1.275. I've seen them as low as 1.25. They might even have 1.225 or something by now.

Completely random though. You could go out and get a brand-spanking new chip and have a 1.325 vcore. And like I said, my week 37 was a 1.275. Luck of the draw.

Back