• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Booting problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blaholdings

Registered
I recently built a new comp w/ the following specs:

MB: GIGA 965P-DS3 (2.0)
CPU: E4300
RAM: 2GB Super Talent PC2-6400
PSU: 500W Seasonic S12

Standard Air Cooling

My problem is that sometimes when I reboot the machine, it fails to post - even with all default bios settings. All the fans turn on but there are no system beeps and nothing displays on the screen. If I attempt to reset in this situation, same thing occurs. If I power off and power back on within 5-10 seconds, same thing happens. The only way I seem to be able to get it to post is by completely turning off the PSU and waiting a few minutes then trying again.

Again this problem happens with bios set at all defaults. Any ideas what might be happening or how I can troubleshoot?

Also note, sometimes even when I have this thing OC'd at 349x9 I am able to reboot normally without a problem. It's really odd.

Could be a problem with your BIOS firmware/RAM. I suggest you Flash your BIOS to the manfacturers latest firmware and Memtest your RAM. This happened to a friend of myn and the problem was his RAM, he had to get it replaced which took forever.

Flashed bios to latest and memory tested fine. Seemed to run okay at default bios settings, so I tweaked them a bit to:

330 bus speed
2.66 mem multiplier (puts me at 798)
upped voltage on FSB by .2V
upped voltage on CPU to 3.75

it won't boot. what's my pain point?

I find I have those some weird reboots with my P5B-D. Although I know everything is working just my monitor wont show a signal. (i hear beeps) When I do get it to finally boot it will occasionally say "Overclocking Failed!" about my 400x8 OC that did 12 hours of Orthos. (after that I stopped it because I wanted to game). I'd just let the computer hang out overnight at stock and then try and kick it up tomorrow. Hopefully that will resolve the problem. That usually does the trick for me.

Riddle me this. I set my multiplier to 2x (DDR running at 698) and bumped up the voltage on the DDR2 by .4 and now it boots. Why would my DDR2 need more voltage if its below its rated freq of 800??

Back