• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a budget card...7300GT looks good.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

My younger brothers just got a store bought PC. Yes, I know, it pains me to say that but hey, It's better than their old one with a dead CPU. Here are the specs...(I'm waiting for it to boot up now haha, store bought PCs..................)

AMD Sempron 2800+ (1.6ghz/200FSB/1.45vcore/64bit)
Gigabyte C51-MCP51 (PCIe, 800HTT, mATX)
256mb PC3200 Samsung RAM (I plan on upgrading this later...I know LOL)
Onboard nVidia GeForce 6100

That is roughly the jist of this rig. It has a PCIe slot, the CPU isn't too underpowered, I have a set of RAM that needs testing to get going and I will probably throw it in there, if not I have more. I'm looking for a low end card, I figure the 6600GT has been replaced by now and that brought me to a 7300GT, which seems to be on par/better? Or is there another card out there? My price range is low as possible...7300GT is about $60, which is still kinda pricy (I'm not buying).

6600gt if he could manage a MIR... just thought i would share :rolleyes:

is this the 7300gt you were talking about?

6600 ddr3
7300 ddr2 only real diff i see, aside from core clock - nothing a little rive tuner can't fix :)

i think both cards would give you about even performance though. I think the 7300 would handle DX9 a little better due to the newer core architecture… should your brother(s) ever be brave enough to try dx9 :)

ChinStrap said:
6600gt if he could manage a MIR... just thought i would share :rolleyes:

is this the 7300gt you were talking about?

6600 ddr3
7300 ddr2 only real diff i see, aside from core clock - nothing a little rive tuner can't fix :)

i think both cards would give you about even performance though. I think the 7300 would handle DX9 a little better due to the newer core architecture… should your brother(s) ever be brave enough to try dx9 :)

Yeah, I believe that is the one. I know that 6600GT vs 7300GT is a great debate. My conclusion of it is they are neck and neck with one doing better here, a little worse here, and the other doing good here, and the other doing worse here. They are looking to play some old school games like Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and venture into DX9 games such as Unreal Tournament 2004, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, and Oblivion. Now, I know that might seem mighty scary for the 7300GT but they aren't going to be running eye candy either so...it's not all that of a concern. Thanks for the reply :)

Back