• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your thoughts on 500+ gb hdd's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TDubbs05

so i'm at the point where i need another hard drive. i was thinking about putting some of my stuff on dvd's but that's a lot of time and dvd's just aren't convenient. oh and screw blueray for now. hdd's are def the best bet for speed, convenience and in my opinion cost as well. (gotta factor in the time you'd spend burning stuff to dvd's)

what i'm wondering if the 500+ gig hdd's are worth it yet. mainly i'm looking at from a reliability stand point because i don't want to have a ton of stuff go down with a faulty drive.

think i should stick with 320 gig sata or make the jump to 500+?

the 500 gig drives are pretty cheap now. down to about 175 bucks. i think you should make the jump. it looks like they all just dropped in price. i plan on getting 4 of them for my raid 5 array.

that's what i'm thinking as well. i was just reading some negative reviews on newegg and questioning them. neweggs got em down to $150.

I always go by price per GB when purchasing a HD.

If you decide to get a 500GB drive for 150 like one person above mentioned that'll cost you $150/500= $0.30 per GB

I recommend the seagate 320GB perpendicular drives which are $90/320= $0.28 per GB and are the BEST 7200rpm drives to buy at the moment.

500GB drives are the best deal as far GB/$. I'm going to pick up a second 500Gb Samsung for my system at some point.

750GB drives are still too expensive.

looks like i'm getting one hehe. i agree on the price per gig stand point but i like having things organized, so need another big drive to keep things together. gotta love 5yr seagate warranties...

Back