• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS axes Xbox1 backwords compatibility after 2007

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FudgeNuggets said:
Like I said in the Sony post, not a big deal seeing as how the only Xbox1 game I ever play on the 360 is Forza, Forza2 is coming in 2 months and I've still got my Xbox1. Anyway, some people will be upset for sure....

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...-development-ramping-down-after-07-242775.php

Considering all the great 360 games coming down the pipe, it's not a HUGE deal. However, the bottom line is that they did tout B/C as a highlighted feature of these next-gen consoles and I think they ultimately have dropped the ball. There are still a lot of good original XBOX titles other there that are not playable on the 360.

deception``

Last edited:
Thats kind of crummy, I mean yes it is a waste for them to spend a lot of time and energy on making old games work at this point. If thats the case though they didn't put enough time into planning backwards compatibility when they were drafting the design. Looks like Nintendo is the only one who didn't drop the ball on backwards compatibility this gen.

I never really cared about backwards compatibility so this doesn't bother me. I don't understand how some people can get so upset over this either. There are a lot of great games on the 360 now, and this year is bringing even more.

genghisjohn said:
I never really cared about backwards compatibility so this doesn't bother me. I don't understand how some people can get so upset over this either. There are a lot of great games on the 360 now, and this year is bringing even more.

Well genuis allow me to explain it to you (no offense intended :) )...

Backwards compatibility increases the software library TEN FOLD. Not only that, but it allows you to pick up a lot of those old classics for as low as two bucks. (Forza and Ninja Gaiden each cost 8 bucks.) The best that the 360 has to offer doesn't yet rival the best that the original xbox has to offer. (The 360 has GOW, Oblivion, Dead Rising... what else can we say is the best? Then the original Xbox had Ninja Gaiden, Halo 1 and 2, Morrowing... in place of oblivion... Psychonauts... A better version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent, A much wider array of fighting games. A much more balanced library, on the whole, than the 360.)

THAT's why people are upset about backward compatibility being cut. (Not to mention that they PROMISED backwards compatibility... but then decided it was too much of a hassle.)

I got frequent use out of the PS1 compatibility on the PS2 because I never HAD a PS1, and there were a lot of games I always wanted to play. I would've gotten great use out of backwards compatibility on the 360 for the same reason.

Allow me to spell genius right for you (no offense intended)...

I said I never cared about BC. As far as other people getting upset, most of the bestseller's are already BC right now on the 360. Every game that you listed except Morrowind is on the list now.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

EDIT: I wanted to list a few 360 games for you Rainless if your having problems finding good games to play. I've only had my 360 about 3 months but all of these games have gotten just as much playing time as GoW (since this seems to be the game to compare all others with)

Rainbow Six: Vegas
Tony Hawk: Project 8
Tiger Woods 07
NCAA 07 (Much better than Madden IMO)

Last edited:
genghisjohn said:
Allow me to spell genius right for you (no offense intended)...

I said I never cared about BC. As far as other people getting upset, most of the bestseller's are already BC right now on the 360. Every game that you listed except Morrowind is on the list now.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

That, my ingenius comrade ( :) ) is the smallest backward compatibility list of all time. It's NOTHING compared to the PS2's PS1 backward compatibility list... and I think it's even smaller than the PS3's *current* (nevermind that 1000+ software emulation deal) backward compatibility list.

Backwards compatibility is really nothing new either... it's existed in one form or another since the gameboy... maybe further back than that (I think some of the early Atari systems had backwards compatibility if I remember right.) And the idea is that it usual multiplied the library of a new system by some drastic power of ten.

It also helped users of the old system migrate and insured a kind of brand loyalty. (You could sell your old system towards the purchase of your new one and still be able to play through all the games you hadn't finished yet.

Think of how useful the Wii's backwards compatibility must be right now... Or the PS3's... (God of War II, if it's out now, JUST came out... and I'm pretty sure there are still a LOT of people playing through Final Fantasy XII). And forget about only the "Greatest hits." What about something like Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 2? What about any random 2 dollar game you could pick up on a whim that just might prove to be worth it?

Not having that opporotunity is a tremendous loss. (Considering the number of Xbox games released it's actually a ridiculously HUGE deal.)

Well I just bought Forza and Soul Calibur 2 (bring on SPAWN!) might go back tonight and pick up Stubbs the Zombie. Hell. It wouldn't take me long at all to get all the games that *I* want on that compatibility list.

I guess there's no use arguing, it's just something I'm not worried about. I don't have the time to play all the games I want to now for the 360, so anything I missed on Xbox I'll just not play. BTW, Stubbs is not a very good game. :beer: Off to play R6V.

Rydis said:
BC was the only thing that made me want the 360 at all.

QFT. And you listed sports games... I'm no sports fan.

At the very least they should have all of the games which became Platinum Hits to be played on the 360.

genghisjohn said:
I guess there's no use arguing, it's just something I'm not worried about. I don't have the time to play all the games I want to now for the 360, so anything I missed on Xbox I'll just not play. BTW, Stubbs is not a very good game. :beer: Off to play R6V.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

I seriously almost bought Stubbs and was halfway back to the store to try and buy it AGAIN.

I'm tickled to death with Soul Calibur 2 though... Spawn is AWESOME. Forza doesn't work for me yet, but you really had to unlock some cars and get some stuff done before Gran Turismo 3 showed its true colors. So I'll just keep playing.

Unfortunately Soul Calibur 2 is stuck in 4:3. At least it plays at native 720... (720... 4:3... don't get it but hey!)

Rydis said:
BC was the only thing that made me want the 360 at all.

If that is the case then buying an originl Xbox for much, much cheaper would have been the logical conclusion. If, in fact, what you meant is what you typed, considering a 360 soley to play Xbox 1 games would be silly.

I don't know if I've ever used backwards compatability since emulation comes alone at about the pace of or faster then BC, but for those of you who do, this sucks.

ps if it hasn't been added to the list by 07 it probably isn't something people want to play anyway. There are only so many games worth playing in its 700 or 800 game library.

EDIT: I take that back, i've played a few Xbox games to see what they would look like and a few handheld games.

Last edited:
OC Noob said:
If that is the case then buying an originl Xbox for much, much cheaper would have been the logical conclusion. If, in fact, what you meant is what you typed, considering a 360 soley to play Xbox 1 games would be silly.

I don't know if I've ever used backwards compatability since emulation comes alone at about the pace of or faster then BC, but for those of you who do, this sucks.

ps if it hasn't been added to the list by 07 it probably isn't something people want to play anyway. There are only so many games worth playing in its 700 or 800 game library.

EDIT: I take that back, i've played a few Xbox games to see what they would look like and a few handheld games.

I have an original xbox the my network is fried on it so I can't go on live with it. I could of bought a new one for 130 ya, but instead I saved the money to get a 360 so I could have both a 360 for future use and can still play current xbox games. The fact that only 1 game I play on xbox works with the 360 is kinda of a gype. I honestly did buy it because of what they had originally advertised to be having, and then change their minds is kinda cheap to me.

Rydis said:
I have an original xbox the my network is fried on it so I can't go on live with it. I could of bought a new one for 130 ya, but instead I saved the money to get a 360 so I could have both a 360 for future use and can still play current xbox games. The fact that only 1 game I play on xbox works with the 360 is kinda of a gype. I honestly did buy it because of what they had originally advertised to be having, and then change their minds is kinda cheap to me.

Cheap to me to. Backwards compatibility was a pretty big motivating factor for me since the system cost so much I could relagate that by buying a bunch of cheap Xbox games.

Rydis said:
lemme guess... Halo2? I mean that H2 is the only backwards-compatible game on the 360 (that plays online)? If so that is some decent BS.

Janus67 said:
lemme guess... Halo2? I mean that H2 is the only backwards-compatible game on the 360 (that plays online)? If so that is some decent BS.

No actually Forza can also be played online. And I'm sure there are others.

Can't be Halo 2 because its already BC and they are getting rid of BC, they are just going to pretty much stop adding games to the list after 07.

Maybe its the mech game mentioned above :shrug:

Decreasing or discontinuing, whatever it sucks none the less.

This makes me sad I was really waiting for Prince of Persia: Two Thrones and Oddworld Strangers Wrath :(

El-Scotto said:
This makes me sad I was really waiting for Prince of Persia: Two Thrones and Oddworld Strangers Wrath :(

It's not over yet though. Here's hoping they add all the Platinum Hits games before they stop the BC.

Back